Reading Ecclesiatical Latin (Augustine, Aquinas and other)

Before a few months I finished John F. Collins A Primer of Ecclesiasrical Latin. A started reading Vulgate New Testament (Gospels) because when I was learning Ancient Greek I started with Gospels also. I’d like to read Augustine Confession and later additional books of Augustine.

What do you suggest to reach my goal? After John F. Collins I tried to read Nunn Ecclesiastical Latin fragments (Cyprian etc.) but is seems to hard for me. Not too hard but I have to look up words in dictionary too frequently.

What is the best way to improve my ecclesiastical Latin to reach higher level? Immediately After Collins I wanted to read Augustine but it unfortunately it didn’t work out. I am sad about this.

If you can help me, please help.

You can read the Vulgate: as you probably know the stories, you won’t have to look up words so often.

1 Like