Double-book notes

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Double-book notes

Post by jeidsath »

Join here: https://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-for ... p?p=224803

Notes from 4/18/23. jeidsath, Constantinus Philo
Source
Show
ἐπειδὴ Ἀθήναζε οἴκοθεν ἐκ Κλαζομενῶν ἀφικόμεθα, κατ᾽ ἀγορὰν ἐνετύχομεν Ἀδειμάντῳ τε καὶ Γλαύκωνι: καί μου λαβόμενος τῆς χειρὸς ὁ Ἀδείμαντος, Χαῖρ᾽, ἔφη, ὦ Κέφαλε, καὶ εἴ του δέῃ τῶν τῇδε ὧν ἡμεῖς δυνατοί, φράζε.

ἀλλὰ μὲν δή, εἶπον ἐγώ, πάρειμί γε ἐπ᾽ αὐτὸ τοῦτο, δεησόμενος ὑμῶν.

λέγοις ἄν, ἔφη, τὴν δέησιν.
Translation
Show
When we came to Athens from home in Klazomenos, we met at the marketplace Adeimantos and Glaucos. And, having taken me by the hand, Adeimantos said "Hi Cephalos." And if you need something from there, which we are capable [of procuring], tell us.

But of course, I said, I go to the same place, and I will make a request of you.

Won't you tell us what you need, he said?
Back to Greek
Show
επειδη αθεναζε οικοθεν ἐν κλαζομενων αφικομεθα, ἐτυχομεν εν αγορᾳ Αδειμαντῳ καὶ Γλαυκῳ. καὶ μου λαβομενος τῇ χειρι Αδειμαντος, Χαιρε ἔφη ὦ Κεφαλε, καὶ εἴ του δεῇ τῶν τῃδε ὧν δυνατοὶ, φράζε.

ἀλλὰ μὲν δὴ, εἶπον, παρειμι επι τουτο το αυτο, δησομενος ὑμῶν.

καὶ ἂν λέγοις, ἔφη, την δέησιν

Notes from 4/19/23. jeidsath, Constantinus Philo
Source
Show
καὶ ἐγὼ εἶπον: τῷ ἀδελφῷ ὑμῶν τῷ ὁμομητρίῳ τί ἦν ὄνομα; οὐ γὰρ μέμνημαι. παῖς δέ που ἦν, ὅτε τὸ πρότερον ἐπεδήμησα δεῦρο ἐκ Κλαζομενῶν: πολὺς δὲ ἤδη χρόνος ἐξ ἐκείνου. τῷ μὲν γὰρ πατρί, δοκῶ, Πυριλάμπης ὄνομα.

πάνυ γε, ἔφη.

αὐτῷ δέ γε;

Ἀντιφῶν. ἀλλὰ τί μάλιστα πυνθάνῃ;
Translation
Show
And I said: What's the name of your guys's brother by the same mother? For I don't recall. For he was no doubt a boy, when I earlier/first sojourned/lived here coming out from Klazomenai. It has already been a long time since then. The name of his father, I'm thinking, was Purilampes.

Definitely, he said.

And his name? [The name to him?]

Antiphon. But what are you really asking? (Or why exactly do you ask?)
Back to Greek
Show
καὶ ἐγὼ εἶπον· τῷ ἀδελφῷ ὑμῶν τῷ ὁμομητρίῳ τί ἦν ὄνομα; οὐ γὰρ μέμνημαι. παῖς που ἦν αὐτὸς, ὅτε πρότερον ἐπεδήμησα δεῦρο ἐκ Κλαζομενῶν. πολὺ ἤδη χρόνος ἐξ ἐκείνου. τῷ πατρὶ αὐτοῦ, δοκῶ, Πυριλάμπης τὸ ὄνομα.

πάνυ γ᾿, ἔφη.

καὶ αὐτῷ;

Ἀντιφῶν. τί δὲ μάλιστα πυνθάνῃ;
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Double-book notes

Post by jeidsath »

We have been continuing with the opening of Parmenides the past several days, as well as some sections from the initial chapters of Thrasymachus:

Attendees: varnenas, Constantinus Philo, and jeidsath. I am the notetaker and the worst errors of spelling and accent here come down to me.

4/24:

<Notes missing>

4/25:
Translation (Thrasymachus)
Show
The beginning of the badness

In the sky. Food is on a table and the godesses are sitting on silver chairs at the table and they are having dinner. But while Zeus is sleeping, the godesses are quarelling terribly.
Spoiler
Show
ἡ τοῦ κακοῦ ἀρχή

ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ. σῖτος ἐπὶ τραπέζης ἐστὶ καὶ αἱ θεαὶ καθίζουσι ἐπὶ ἀργυρῶν θρονῶν παρὰ τῇ τραπέζῃ καὶ δείπνουσιν. ἀλλ᾿ ὁ μὲν Ζεὺς καθεύδει, αἱ δὲ θεαὶ δεινῶς ἐρίζουσιν.
Translation (Parmenides)
Show
These people, said I, are also fellow-citizens of mine, very much philosophers, and having heard too that this Antiphon had met many times a certain companion, Pythodorus of Zeno, and having heard very often [from Pythodorus] the matters that Socrates and Zeno and Parminides discussed, he recalls them.
Greek retranslation
Show
οἵδε, εἶπον ἐγώ, πολῖται τ᾿ εἰσιν ἐμοι, μαλα φιλοσοφοι, καὶ ακηκοασι ὅτι ουτος ο Αντιφων εντετυχηκει πολλα Πυθοδωρῳ τινι τοῦ Ζηνωνος ἑταιρῳ, καὶ τοὺς λόγους, πόλλακις ἀκούσας οὓς Σωκρατης καὶ Ζηνων καὶ Παρμενιδης διελεχθησαν, ἀπομνημονεύει.
4/26:
Translation
Show
He said, you speak the truth.

This therefore, I said, we need to hear all the way through.

But that is not difficult, he said, for being a teenager, it was very easy for him to learn throughly from them, since *even* now **with his / like his** grandfather of the same name as him, he spends most of his time practicing riding. For he has just arrived here at home, and lives nearby in Melite.
Greek retranslation
Show
ἀληθῆ, ἔφη, λέγεις.

τούτων τοινυν, εἶπον, δεόμεθα διακοῦσαι.

ἀλλ᾿ οὐ χαλεπόν, ἔφη, μειρακιον ὢν αὐτοὺς εὖ μάλα διεμελήτησεν: ἐπεὶ νῦν γε κατὰ τὸν πάππον καὶ ὁμώνυμον πρὸς τὴν ἱππίκην τὰ πόλλα διατρίβει. ἐνθένδε γὰρ οἰκάδε οἴχεται, οἰκοι* οἰκεῖ δ᾿ ἐγγὺς ἐν Μελίτῃ
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

4/27:

varnenas, Constantinus Philo, jeidsath, and livius
Thrasymachus trans.
Show
Aphrodite: (she laughs) But I'm not quarreling, O Zeus, but it is Hera and Athena [who are quarreling]. For they are wild and they are quarreling all the time.

Athena: But we are not quarreling, O Zeus. Because we like each other.
Re-Greeked
Show
Αφροδίτη: (γελᾷ) ἀλλ᾿ ἐγὼ μὲν οὐκ ἐρίζω, ὦ Ζεῦ, ἡ δ᾿ Ἡρα καὶ Ἀθηνᾶ. ἀγριαι γάρ εἰσιν καὶ ἀεὶ ἐρίζουσιν.

Ἀθηνᾶ: ἀλλ᾿ οὐκ ἐρίζομεν, ὦ Ζεῦ, φιλοῦμεν γὰρ ἀλλήλας.
Plato/Homer trans.
Show
We shall cut out then, said I, starting from this word/saying, everything of this sort:

But the houses may appear to mortals and immortals,
terrible, moldy, and which even the gods hate
Re-Greeked
Show
ἐξελείψωμεν ἄρα, ἦν δ᾿ ἐγώ, ἀπὸ τοῦδε τοῦ ἔπου ἀρξάμενοι, πάντα τὰ τοιαῦτα:

οἰκία δὲ θνητοῖσι καὶ ἀθανατοῖσι φανείη
σμερδαλε᾿, εὐρώεντα, τά τε στυγέουσι θεοί περ

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

We had meetings all last week, covering various Plato (Alc., Par.), Thrasymachus, and Aesop.

Here is the Aesop, we translated it to English on May 5th, gave ourselves the weekend to forget, and translated back to Greek on May 8th.
original
Show
Κόραξ τροφῆς ἀπορῶν, ὡς ἐθεάσατο ὄφιν ἔν τινι εὐηλίῳ τόπῳ κοιμώμενον, τοῦτον καταπτὰς ἤρπασε, τοῦ δὲ ἐπιστραφέντος καὶ δακόντος αὐτόν, ἀποθνῄσκειν μέλλων ἔφη "ἀλλ᾿ ἔγωγε δείλαιος, ὅστις τοιοῦτον ἕρμαιον εὗρον ἐξ οὗ καὶ ἀπόλλυμαι."
translation
Show
Crow lacking food, when he saw a snake sleeping in a particular sunny place, after having flown down he snatched [the snake]. Then when the snake turned around and bit him, the dying crow said, "but what a miserable wretch am I, someone that struck upon such a find, and because of which I perish."
re-Greeked
Show
κορὰξ ἀπορειῶν τροφῆς, ὄφιν κείμενον ἐν ευηλίῳ τινὶ τόπῳ θεασάμενος, καταπτὰς ἤρπασε τοῦτον. τοῦ ἐπιστραφέντος καὶ δάκοντος, ἀποθνῄσκειν μέλλων, ἔφη "ἀλλ᾿ ἐγώγε δειλαῖος, οὗτος ἔρμαιον τοιοῦτον ηὗρον, ἐξ οὗ ἀπόλλυμαι.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Now with Latin!
Original
Show
Ita fac, mi Lucili: vindica te tibi, et tempus quod adhuc aut auferebatur aut subripiebatur aut excidebat collige et serva. Persuade tibi hoc sic esse ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, magna pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, maxima nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.
Translation
Show
Do thus, my Lucilus, retake/regain yourself for yourself, and collect and keep the time that until now was carried away or stolen or lost/fallen out. Convince yourself that it is as I write, some time is snatched from us, some is pickpocketed, some is flowing away. Nevertheless, the greatest loss is due to our negligence. And if you are willing to attend, a big part of life is wasted for those who act badly, most of life for those who do nothing, the whole of life for those who do anything else.
Re-Latined
Show
Ita fac, mi Lucili, vindica te tibi, et adhuc tempora aut auferebantur aut eripiebantur aut excidebant collige et serva. Persuade te id esse ut scribo, alia tempora alia auferuntur alia subripiuntur alia efluunt. Turpissima tamen jactura negligentia fit. Si volueris attendere, magna pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, maxima nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.