question about Perseus dictionary presentation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

question about Perseus dictionary presentation

Post by hlawson38 »

Here is a snip from Middle Liddell as presented in Perseus:
γίγνομαι γί-γνομαι is syncopated from γι-γένομαι, the Root being ΓΕΝ; cf. aor. 2 γενέσθαι, γένος, etc.; so Lat. gi-gno for gi-geno.

I. [select] Radical sense, to come into being, Lat. gigni:

What does "[select]" mean? For several years I have been ignoring "[select]", but I've always wondered what it means.
Hugh Lawson

Herodotean
Textkit Neophyte

Re: question about Perseus dictionary presentation

Post by Herodotean »

"[select]" doesn't appear in my print copy or at Logeion.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Perhaps I can illustrate this with another word.

If you look up a word in a text you may get a result like this:
Spoiler
Show
If you then click select you will get this:
Spoiler
Show
This shows that 7 (?) out of 9 people who voted opted for A the first option in the first figure.

How this squares with the other user votes shown in the first window I dont know.

I Have used this site over many years and I dont think my vote has been counted. I am not sure whether the option of voting for a meaning is still operational or whose vote is actually counted. I hardly ever visit the site these days and had forgotten about this. Thanks for reminding me. I guess unless someone here knows chapter and verse you would need to email the perseus guardians for a full explanation.

Edit

I went back to the site and if you select one of the other meanings you get 34 votes distributed amongst the various options in the first window, with the rubric "Current results for occurrence #1 of kaqistame/nou in Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War, entry kaqi/sthmi" Its worth playing around with to see how a particular verb is used in say Thucydides. How accurate it is who Knows? It's vaguely coming back to me that I have noticed some odd votes and results in the past.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Many thanks seneca. I think I understand now what the "[select]" is for. I have clicked on [select] now and then, but I always get "no results for this word yet."

I'll just keep ignoring it.
Hugh Lawson