Cyrop. 3.3.44

ducky123
Textkit Neophyte

Cyrop. 3.3.44

Post by ducky123 »

Hi everyone
The Assyrian king is encouraging his troops before battle with the Persians:

ἄνδρες Ἀσσύριοι, νῦν δεῖ ἄνδρας ἀγαθοὺς εἶναι: νῦν γὰρ ὑπὲρ ψυχῶν τῶν ὑμετέρων ἁγὼν καὶ ὑπὲρ γῆς ἐν ᾗ ἔφυτε καὶ περὶ οἴκων ἐν οἷς ἐτράφητε, καὶ ὑπὲρ γυναικῶν τε καὶ τέκνων καὶ περὶ πάντων ὧν πέπασθε ἀγαθῶν

What is this word - ἁγὼν. I can’t seem to find a reasonable match in my Cambridge Greek Lexicon or LSJ. If it’s ἀγός why does it have a rough breathing in the passage (and ἀγός wouldn’t make much sense to me as surely the king wouldn’t be emphasising the importance of their leader’s lives over their own)

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Cyrop. 3.3.44

Post by jeidsath »

Should be ἀγών with a smooth breathing. In the context, the rough may just indicate the article.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

ἁγὼν with rough breathing is correct. It’s a better spelling of ὁ ἀγών. Adjacent vowels coalesce (“crasis”). Cf. e.g. ἁνήρ (long alpha) = ὁ ἀνήρ.

For the phrasing as well as the rhetoric cf. Xenophon’s pep-talk at Anab.2.15, νῦν δ᾽ ὁπότε περὶ τῆς ὑμετέρας σωτηρίας ἁγών ἐστι, ….

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

You misunderstood my "should" (and failed to read the second sentence of my post). He's asking how to look up the word. He'll need to look for the word with the smooth breathing in his dictionary. The entry is ἀγών.

But since we're on the subject, and since you say "better spelling," I read Threatte on indication of crasis the other week, and thought that he made the situation sound a bit more complicated.

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Joel, I thought my reply to Neil’s query was better than yours, but I guess I would, wouldn’t I?
As to Threatte, his book is extremely valuable, but it was on Attic inscriptions, and Xenophon’s works are not Attic inscriptions.

ducky123
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ducky123 »

Thanks both. I was also looking up the wrong headword too, which really wasn’t helping matters :roll: . Perseus usually points me to it if I’m struggling but it must not have liked the rough breathing. All makes perfect sense now.