Beginner Textbook Advice

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
kim12345
Textkit Neophyte

Beginner Textbook Advice

Post by kim12345 »

Hello,

I've been studying Latin for a few months now and was thinking of dipping my toe into Greek as well. I'm trying to decide between 2 books - either the Learn to Read Greek series by Andrew Keller and Stephanie Russell or A Reading Course in Homeric Greek by Raymond V. Schoder and Vincent C. Horrigan. I've been using the Keller/Russell book Learn to Read Latin and quite like it so I am leaning towards that for Greek as well, but thought I would ask for some opinions.

Also, I have been trying to find an answer key for the Homeric Greek series, but every store I look at seems to list it as unavailable. I'm a self-learner so it would be helpful to have just so I know if I'm getting the answers right or not.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Beginner Textbook Advice

Post by seneca2008 »

I recommend Reading Greek (CUP) or Athenaze. You will find a lot of discussion on here if you search.

I think it's easiest to learn attic greek first and then read homer. Others have a different opinion. Again there is a lot of discussion on this forum which you can look at.

The best Latin textbook is Lingua Latina per se illustrata Familia Romana, but as you have already started another book thats probably not much help.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Piekarski
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Piekarski »

kim12345,

I saw recently that the current publishers of A Reading Course in Homeric Greek have a key available on their website.

As a self learner, I have requested keys from their other books without any problems.

The thing I like about older textbooks such as A Reading Course in Homeric Greek is they break down the material into more numerous, smaller chapters.

So if the pacing of Keller and Russell has worked for you, then no need to change. But I looked at their books and went a different way for that reason.

kim12345
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kim12345 »

Great, thanks very much for your suggestions.