[Textbook] Via Latina

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
will.dawe
Textkit Fan

[Textbook] Via Latina

Post by will.dawe »

A new textbook to study Latin language was published by Cultura Clásica in 2022:

Via Latina: De lingua et vita Romanorum (María Luisa Aguilar; Jorge Tárrega)

It follows the inductive method similar to Ørber's LLPSI. In contrast to another recent Spanish textbook—Lectiones Latinae (2018)—this book is written completely in Latin. The size of the lexicon is not mentioned anywhere, but my calculation gives about 1,100 words (LLPSI part 1 is 1,800, part 2 is 3,000).
The reading part of the book tells about the Roman's history, sort of Ab Urbe Condita, and include fragments about the Ancient Roman culture:
Los textos nos presentan de forma progresiva la historia de Roma, desde sus orígenes míticos hasta la época republicana, haciendo desfilar por sus páginas a personajes como Rómulo y Remo, Tarpeya, Tarquinio el Soberbio, Lucrecia, Escipión y Aníbal, hasta llegar a los hermanos Graco.
There are rich māteria īnstitūtiōnis, such as images, audio, and flash cards, but I was not able to find the answer keys or teacher's guide.

It's difficult to find reviews of this book:
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.

malummagnus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: [Textbook] Via Latina

Post by malummagnus »

Luke Ranieri made a review on Via Latina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UYXUX5EzFc, although its more of a recommendation.
Last edited by jeidsath on Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added https:// to fix the link

Cattus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: [Textbook] Via Latina

Post by Cattus »

For learning Latin I prefer Familia Romana.
Via Latina is useful for revising Latin. The range of exercises is bigger.