present participle ablative singular ending in either i or e

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

present participle ablative singular ending in either i or e

Post by spqr »

Why two different endings? I guess the difference is that the participle takes on the e ending when used in a participial phrase and the i ending is used when the participle is used as adjective but beyond that I am not too clear. Thanks.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: present participle ablative singular ending in either i or e

Post by seneca2008 »

I think you are on the right lines.

This is what Gildersleeve has to say:

Ab. amante (ī) etc

83, REMARK.-In early and late Latin, and at all periods in the poets, we find -e is often found for -i in the Abl. Singular. In classical prose we regularly find compote, dēside, impūbere, participe, paupere, pūbere, superstite, vetere, and frequently dīvite (but always ditī), quadrupede, sapiente. With participles, -i is usual when they are used as adjectives, but classical
prose shows -e also in antecēdēns, candēns, cōnsentiēns, dēspiciēns, effluēns, hiāns, imminēns, influēns, profluēns, cōnsequēns (but sequēns, not before Livy), titubāns, vertēns.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.