Aristotle, Physics 217b29

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Aristotle, Physics 217b29

Post by Tugodum »

ἐχόμενον δὲ τῶν εἰρημένων ἐστὶν ἐπελθεῖν περὶ χρόνου.
I take the meaning to be: "For the one who follows closely what has been said it is possible to discuss time." If this is correct, why is ἐστὶν enclitic?
p.s. Or is the meaning: "What follows closely what has been said is to discuss time."?

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Aristotle, Physics 217b29

Post by polemistes »

I think your last suggestion is correct. For the first meaning ἑχόμενον would need to be in the dative, and, I suppose, have an article. And then it would mean something like "for one clinging to what has been said...", since I don't think the meaning "follow" can be used metaphorically as in "follow an argument". But I'm also somewhat unsure about the possible uses of ἔχω, so someone may correct me.

Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Tugodum »

Thank you, I thought (probably mistakenly) that ἐχόμενον could be taken as an accusative of respect.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

LSJ has this:

"C Med., hold oneself fast, cling closely, .........

3. come next to, follow closely, ib. 1.8.4; ἕπεσθαι ἐχομένους ὅτι μάλιστα τῶν ἁρμάτων Id. Cyr. 7.1.9; of peoples or places, to be close, border on, c. gen., Hdt. 4.169, Th. 2.96, etc.; freq. in part., τὴν ἐχομένην [τῶν νεωρίων] στοάν Aen. Tact. 11.3; οἱ ἐ. the neighbouring people, Hdt. 1.134; ὁ ἐχόμενος the next man, Aen.Tact. 22.27; of Time, τὸ ἐχόμενον ἔτος the next year, Th. 6.3; ὁ ἐ. διαλογισμός PRev.Laws 16.15 (iii B.C.); τὰ ἐχόμενα τούτοις what follows, Pl. Grg. 494e (without τούτοις Isoc. 6.29)."
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.