A Participle with a Participle?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
enoshyc
Textkit Neophyte

A Participle with a Participle?

Post by enoshyc »

Currently working through Dickey's Greek composition textbook, I just learned that φαίνομαι takes a present participle to complete the meaning of "obviously, clearly," and that ἥδομαι also takes a present participle to mean "enjoy doing something".

My question: what if I want to say "I clearly enjoy writing," do I use a participle with a participle as below?

φαίνομαι ἡδόμενος γράφων.

Thank you in advance.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: A Participle with a Participle?

Post by mwh »

Possible but awkward. You could say φαίνομαι ἡδέως γράφων (though that could be ambiguous).

enoshyc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by enoshyc »

Thank you.

Would that mean "I am obviously writing with pleasure"?

Would we consider using an infinitive with the participle instead:

"φαίνομαι ἡδόμενος γράφειν"?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

"φαίνομαι ἡδόμενος γράφειν" - I am glad to appear to be writing
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

enoshyc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by enoshyc »

Right, the problem of using the infinitive γράφειν in this sentence is it could be taken with φαίνομαι to mean "I appear to be writing"...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Now we should do: "I enjoy writing openly" vs. "I openly enjoy writing"

(If we're trying to understand the other thread.)
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

enoshyc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by enoshyc »

How about, to avoid the ambiguity of a participle with a participle, we use ἐμφανῶς for clearly/openly to say "I openly enjoy writing":

"ἐμφανῶς ἥδομαι γράφων"?

And, just change the word order to say " I enjoy writing openly":

"ἥδομαι γράφων ἐμφανῶς"?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Both would seem to communicate clearly enough to me, anyway, were I to come across either. Should wait for mwh or phalakros to check though.

katalogon
Textkit Member

Post by katalogon »

"I clearly enjoy writing."

Could we use a copula with a predicative adjective?

φανερός εἰμι ἡδόμενος γράφων.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Yes, εμφανῶς ἥδομαι γράφων would be fine: “I plainly/clearly/manifestly/openly enjoy writing.” (Anyone can see I enjoy it.)

But “I enjoy writing openly” would most likely be ἥδομαι εμφανῶς γράφων rather than ἥδομαι γράφων ἐμφανῶς. Adverbs normally precede their verb.

For “I am glad to appear to be writing”—an odd thing to say—I’d say φαινόμενος γράφειν ἥδομαι, with the words in any order. You’d use particles for intonation, e.g. for “I’m glad to appear to be writing [even though I’m not actually writing]” you’d add γε after φαινόμενος, and for “I’m glad to appear to be writing [even though it's not actually writing that I'm doing]” you’d add γε after γράφων. Particles are the glory of Greek.

—And katalogon’s φανερός ειμι (or δῆλός ειμι) ἡδόμενος γράφων” would also be fine for “I clearly enjoy writing” (It's obvious I enjoy it), despite the double participle.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

ἔθων would let the reader know that habitually is meant, instead of some writing being done at the moment.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

ἥδομαι εἰωθὼς (not ἔθων) γράφειν would meαn “I enjoy being in the habit of writing,” but plain ἥδομαι γράφων would mean “I enjoy writing,” whether at the moment or in general.

enoshyc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by enoshyc »

Thank you all for your help!

The use of γε at different places is eye-opening. I have yet to grasp the mystery of Greek particles.