instance of predicative position: please check my grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

instance of predicative position: please check my grammar

Post by hlawson38 »

I've had trouble with "the predicative position". In Thucydides 1.84.4, I think I finally got it.
[4] αἰεὶ δὲ ὡς πρὸς εὖ βουλευομένους τοὺς ἐναντίους ἔργῳ παρασκευαζόμεθα. . . .
Only after checking the LCL translation and reviewing the grammar of the predicative position did I understand. The translation in English might be something like this:
Translation effort: In actual deeds we prepare, assuming that the adversaries are wise in counsel.

I make this offering hoping that I got it right, and hoping that this short example might help others struggling with the predicative position. Mastronarde IIRC said that the predicative position nearly always implies the verb "to be". I didn't understand his point, but I think I understand it now.
Hugh Lawson

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: instance of predicative position: please check my grammar

Post by hlawson38 »

content deleted; this was an editing error
Hugh Lawson

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Yes Hugh I think you've got it. εὖ βουλευομένους is predicative with τους εναντιους, since it stands outside of the article. The προς applies to τους εναντιους as well as to εὖ βουλευομένους, of course. We could say something like “In practice we always make preparations against our adversaries on the assumption that they plan well.”
(If εὖ βουλευομένους stood between τοὺς and ἐναντίους it would be attributive and would mean against adversaries who plan well as distinct from adversaries who don’t plan well.)

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Thanks to mwh for the evaluation, and for the bonus tip showing the meaning in the attributive position. Very helpful!
Hugh Lawson