Why ‘hoc’ LLPSI. Capitulum duodevicesimum. all 130,131?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
unanimus
Textkit Neophyte

Why ‘hoc’ LLPSI. Capitulum duodevicesimum. all 130,131?

Post by unanimus »

Salvete.

I’m really enjoying learning this language. LLPSI is an excellent resource and I would recommend it to anyone.

This forum has been a great help to me. I have felt able to progress without asking, neigh pestering, others for support for the past few chapters of Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. That was until I came across this sentence. Magister vero hoc non animadvertit. That was yesterday. So I went away and came back afresh. I reread the passage and when I reached this sentence I find myself asking the same question. Why is it ‘hoc’. I’m assuming that ‘this’ refers to something that’s neuter but what?

I apologise for coming along with what I’m guessing is a simple question but my learning style is based around chasing up lines of enquiry and generally seeking ‘perfection’ in my understanding. I could have just skipped past this question but if I did it would have been like a small stone in my shoe. So, I’m hoping that somebody will be so kind as to provide pointers that might prove productive, please.

Aurēliānus Agricola
Textkit Member

Re: Why ‘hoc’ LLPSI. Capitulum duodevicesimum. all 130,131?

Post by Aurēliānus Agricola »

hoc = id quod Mārcus dīcit/facit. (I don't have the book under the eyes, but it refers to what happens just before)

Hence the neutral, because it's an unnamed action.
Virtūs montēs movet

unanimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by unanimus »

Thanks.

I seem to have had a bit of a blind spot there. I can see clearly now and I’m very pleased. Right, onward!

Vale

Themistocles00
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Themistocles00 »

unanimus wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:45 am Salvete.

I’m really enjoying learning this language. LLPSI is an excellent resource and I would recommend it to anyone.

This forum has been a great help to me. I have felt able to progress without asking, neigh pestering, others for support for the past few chapters of Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. That was until I came across this sentence. Magister vero hoc non animadvertit. That was yesterday. So I went away and came back afresh. I reread the passage and when I reached this sentence I find myself asking the same question. Why is it ‘hoc’. I’m assuming that ‘this’ refers to something that’s neuter but what?
In Latin, each time you want to refer a sentence, you must use a neuter pronoun.

Marcus dicit se parentibus suis pariturum esse, quod iam dixerat antea. the antecedent of quod is the full sentence.

Quaedam persona: Bonum animun habete, amici, nam mox tuti a periculis erimus, Hoc illis dixit ut ei non timerent.

Hoc refers to the former sentence.

I am studyng Lingua Latine myself too. Be strong and you will understand latin.