teetotalers

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

teetotalers

Post by Constantinus Philo »

until unconsciously we have become teetotalers.
Stylistically I think it is unadmissible to render thus ὑδροπόται because it smacks of the prohibition period in the US.
Semper Fidelis

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: teetotalers

Post by seneca2008 »

LSJ has

water-drinker, X. Cyr. 6.2.29; used of a thin-blooded, mean-spirited fellow, AP 11.20 (Antip. Thess.); cf. ὑδατοπότης.

The Cambridge Greek lexicon has "one who drinks only water (i.e. not wine).

Being teetotal has nothing to do with prohibition in the US or elsewhere. It is simply a description of someone who does not drink alcohol, for whatever reason (health, religion, morals etc). During prohibition there were many people who were not teetotal.

(I would say inadmissible rather than "unadmissable" but it doesnt seem seem the right word to use anyway. But the sense was clear - inadmissible normally appear as a description of evidence which cannot be heard in a trial for legal reasons)
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

There's one Mr Semple has raised a proud temple To Kant, and translates what he wrote all ; But did the philosopher teach men to toss over Drink and the Devil, Tee-Total? On, no! though he boasted a stern categorical, I fear like most Germans, he's mad, metaphorical ; But this is substantial, solid, and Doric all, That Matthew has done by Tee-Total.
Teetotalism got it's name from the there-mentioned Father Theobald Matthew's Catholic "Total Abstinence Society" founded back in the 1830s. (I assume that's the Matthew mentioned, anyway.) It means Tee-Total (the letter T) abstinence from alcohol. To me it's a word with severe connotations of the Temperance movement and the Prohibition era, but perhaps Seneca is more representative of general readers than I am?
'Tis a barbarous relic of German and Gaelic, Unless you have read and forgot all, How Tacitus tells with what beer-inspired yells, And with what a Bacchanal trot, all Stark-naked, the wild woodmen rushed to the fight, (Berserking in German I think it is hight,) But they were mowed down ; and it served them right For blaspheming the goddess Tee-Total.
"Great is Tee-Total of the Americans!" Though the strong American association was late 19th-century I think. For this poem (1840), it's a British/Tory/Catholic/Protestant issue.
Euripides says, in one of his plays, Which he wrote by the light of the bottle, That Pentheus was torn, by Greek women, one morn, For joining the Theban Tee-Total. For Protestant sermons no Catholic asks ; The Bishops, of course, sit at home on their casks, Nibble heathenish Greek, and then flourish their flasks, With a hearty God-damn to Tee-Total !
To have such bishops again!

I do think teetotaler captures the "flavor" of ὑδατοπότης, though it's too bad that it makes me think 19th century. I would not personally use it in any modern English prose. But many others disagree.

Nabakov calls non-drinkers filii aquae. Punny.
ὢ πόποι, οἷον δή νυ θεοὺς βροτοὶ αἰτιόωνται.
ἐξ ἡμέων γάρ φασι κάκ’ ἔμμεναι· οἱ δὲ καὶ αὐτοὶ
σφῇσιν ἀτασθαλίῃσιν ὑπέρμορον ἄλγε’ ἔχουσιν.
-HOMER

Zounds! what a set on the earth do plague us with peevish devotion,
Saying that Jove is to blame, because evil floods earth like an ocean!
But they themselves are the cause that evil on earth is so frisky,
Tainting their blood every day with a poison that mortals call WHISKY!
-Odyssey, i., 32
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I asked the AI to read my above post aloud, as it contained both meter and prose, Greek and a bit of Latin. He has some very minor problems, and he murders the Homeric meter, but overall, great job. He sounds better than I would have.

https://vocaroo.com/1mKgVhla9qZI
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

I wonder who the author of these poems is.
Semper Fidelis

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

It is anonymous, but my guess is that the author is John Stuart Blackie (not unfamiliar to Textkit readers, I hope).

It's volume 7 (1840) of Tait's Edinburgh Magazine, pg. 383. "A Song of Tee-Totalers." There is a footnote at the bottom mentioning "Bur­schen Me­lo­dies." On the other hand, the footnote is signed "E. T. M."? "Editor Tait Magazine"?

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

seneca2008 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:08 pm LSJ has

water-drinker, X. Cyr. 6.2.29; used of a thin-blooded, mean-spirited fellow, AP 11.20 (Antip. Thess.); cf. ὑδατοπότης.

The Cambridge Greek lexicon has "one who drinks only water (i.e. not wine).

Being teetotal has nothing to do with prohibition in the US or elsewhere. It is simply a description of someone who does not drink alcohol, for whatever reason (health, religion, morals etc). During prohibition there were many people who were not teetotal.

(I would say inadmissible rather than "unadmissable" but it doesnt seem seem the right word to use anyway. But the sense was clear - inadmissible normally appear as a description of evidence which cannot be heard in a trial for legal reasons)
Sorry, I meant unacceptable. In French, you can use here 'inadmissible', so I mixed it up.
Semper Fidelis