Phrases with Abbreviations

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Phrases with Abbreviations

Post by Avocado »

Ok, so if, in the lexicon, a word is at the top with different endings, i.e.:

στρατιωτικός
στρτωτ-ικός, ή, όν,

And you see a phrase like τὸ σ. (the pay of the forces), does that mean the words with other endings are also used with the phrase? Like, if I see τὸ στρτωτόν, does that mean "the pay of the forces" or does it have to be τὸ στρατιωτικός?

Cheers

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Phrases with Abbreviations

Post by jeidsath »

FYI, whatever you used to copy and paste στρατιωτικός eliminated the letters with breves (the α and the ι), and it has garbled your post.

But if you see "τὸ σ." in the lexicon entry for στρατιωτικός, it is short for "τὸ στρατιωτικόν" (note the final letter), but the word may actually be declined in the place where it's used, so you could see: τοῦ στρατιωτικοῦ, τῷ στρατιωτικῷ, etc. Depending on the word, you may see such a substantive in both plural and singular.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Avocado »

Awesome, good to know.

Thanks!

Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Avocado »

Hey, is there a list of word endings for substantives I could read?

(So I know what do exclude from those, like if my inflected word doesn't mean that abbreviation. :lol: )

I imagine it would follow the gender and plurality of the article like a noun?

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

Avocado wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:56 am Hey, is there a list of word endings for substantives I could read?
I haven't seen a single listing of *all* the subst. endings, but here are some helpful charts:

https://classics.uchicago.edu/people/he ... k-handouts

And this book is very handy:

Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek, by James Morwood.
Hugh Lawson

Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Avocado »

Thank you1