Quid facio? Hic est mea prima compositio in Lingua Latina

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

Volo hac pagina utantur ad Latine aspiciendum et quoque de res hodiernas sciendum semper esse. Loquor praesens iterim ut dicitur ut totam linguam nesciebat. Rogo auxilium uestrum. Gratias plurimas
Last edited by Cristoferuritius15 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quid facio? Hic est mea prima compositio in Lingua Latina

Post by Constantinus Philo »

sorry, too many errors. First learn about conjuctivus dubitativus and say quid faciam.
Semper Fidelis

Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks for the reply. It helps a lot. And it is very mindful of you answering it.
I have only until now studied morphology. I ought to have studied at least some of the more basic facts of syntactical constructions. The use of the subjunctive is not at all frequent in my mother language. I will get around to studying it more thoroughly, before posting here again.
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Don’t be too discouraged. Perhaps writing something simple to start with is best.
What book are using to learn Latin. I recommend Familia Romana.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

Volo haec pagina utantur ad Latine aspiciendum et quoque de res hodiernas sciendum semper esse. Loquor praesens iterim ut dicitur ut totam linguam nesciebat. Rogo auxilium uestrum. Gratias plurimas
"What am I doing? This is my first composition in the Latin Language.

I, who am this page, wish that it might be used for the consideration of Latin, and also to ever know about contemporary things. I being present, say again that it is declared that he was not knowing the entire Latin language. I ask for your help. Many graces."
:)

Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Intended literal meaning.

What am I doing? Here is my first Latin composition.

I want -through this page being used- to advance (my) Latin and also to get informed of present affairs. Here, I am currently speaking, as it is said, as if I did not know the whole language. I would like your help. Many thanks.

Quite bad and unnatural, but quite easily resembling my mother language’s syntax. I really hope I can improve it.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I think the problem is that you have chosen to try and express a quite complicated set of thoughts which require some grammatical structures which you haven't learned. In a previous post I suggested you try something simpler. It is always best to start from the Latin you know rather than a few sentences in English or Portuguese. I don't know Portuguese but certainly how things are expressed in latin is very different from how they are expressed in English. Always translate the thought not the words.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.