ChatGPT and Attic Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
brunosprak
Textkit Neophyte

ChatGPT and Attic Greek

Post by brunosprak »

I tried ChatGPT now with "Generate a back and forth conversation in Attic Greek about the weather" and the result was:

Person 1: "Πῶς ἔχει τὸ ἠελίου;"(How is the weather?)

Person 2: "Καλῶς ἔχει, καὶ ἡ ἀτμόσφαιρα ἐστὶν ἀνεμελής." (It's good, and the atmosphere is windless.)

Person 1: "Ἐπὶ τίνος ἡμέρας;"(On what day?)

Person 2: "Ἐπὶ σήμερον, ἀλλ' οἶδα οὐδενὸς ὅτι ἐπὶ τὸ μέλλον." (Today, but I know of nothing about the future.)

Person 1: "Νῦν οὖν ποῦ ἀναφέρεις τὸν ἀνεμόν;"(Now then, where do you report the wind?)

Person 2: "Οὐκ οἶδα, ἀλλ' ἡ ἀτμόσφαιρα καλή ἐστίν." (I do not know, but the atmosphere is good.)

I expect this to have plenty of mistakes, but I'm not proficient enough to point them out. Do you guys think this kind of technology will prove useful for Greek language learning in the future?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: ChatGPT and Attic Greek

Post by jeidsath »

I notice some problems, though it's broadly comprehensible. A number of the words aren't Attic. To me it looks a lot like modern Greek that has been transformed into katharevousa. Some playing around with Google translate (though a completely different codebase) confirms this somewhat.

However, if you think about ways to push it a little, you can get interesting responses.

Breaks off here for some reason, each time you try it in Greek. Possibly due to a computation limit, possibly something else. Here it is in Latin.

With some more experimentation.
Human: "Τίς ἐστιν ὁ θεός;"
AI: "Θεός ἐστιν ὁ ὕψιστος καὶ αἰωνίος πνεῦμα, πλαστής καὶ διοικητής τῶν πάντων."
Human: "Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια;"
AI: "Ἀλήθεια ἐστὶν ἀντιστοιχία τῆς φύσεως καὶ τοῦ νοῦ."
Deep.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

brunosprak
Textkit Neophyte

Post by brunosprak »

That's impressive! Using some real Greek in the prompt manages to produce something much better. Thanks for the ideas.