Movable nu in Hellenistic inscriptions

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Pelopidas
Textkit Neophyte

Movable nu in Hellenistic inscriptions

Post by Pelopidas »

I am trying to get an estimate of the presence rate of the movable nu in antevocalic contexts in Hellenistic inscriptions. The resources that I have consulted (the geographical collections of Schweizer, Meisterhans, Nachmanson...) provide results that surprise me a lot because they agree to consider omission to be quite exceptional (<2-3% of cases). I was expecting a noticeably higher rate, perhaps not at the same level as in the case of the papyri (Mayser grammar gives the omission at ~30%) but higher nonetheless.

Am I the only one surprised? Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Thanks to whoever answers me.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Movable nu in Hellenistic inscriptions

Post by jeidsath »

Have you seen Threatte on moveable-ν for Attic inscriptions? I can post images of his section on it, if you would like.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com