Patrarat

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Patrarat

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

From Clementine Vulgate Genesis 2:2.

I assume its from patro and it looks to me like a Pluperfect 3rd Person Singular patraverat with the ve cut out.

Just wondering what this might be called and if it is common in the Vulgate. Thank you.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Patrarat

Post by Shenoute »

As far as I know, it is quite common in all Latin texts.

See §181, https://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin/peculiarities.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

CMatthiasT88 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:56 am From Clementine Vulgate Genesis 2:2.

I assume its from patro and it looks to me like a Pluperfect 3rd Person Singular patraverat with the ve cut out.

Just wondering what this might be called and if it is common in the Vulgate. Thank you.
I just did a quick search of the Vulgate for syncopated pluperfects and got 32 hits. Some are false-positives (e.g. parat, exhilarat, Ararat), but many look to be true pluperfects. PM me if you'd like me to send you the search results.

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

A&G 181, thank you. Would you call this syncopation or contraction?

I think its interesting that in the very next sentence there is cessaverat a true pluperfect.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

Posting this here in case it's of interest to others.

This list should include all syncopated and non-syncopated forms in all persons, irrespective of verb class, in the Vulgate:

https://anastrophe.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin ... ubdivtype=