Planning a reading list for Latin learning and a study plan for 7 or so years

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Planning a reading list for Latin learning and a study plan for 7 or so years

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

I’ve heard from Paul Veyne that “no student of Latin after 7 years of study would be able to read two lines of authentic text” ( a bit of a hyperbole to my mind, but with some truth in it, just look at Persius and Statius) and that less than 20 hours a week would yield no fruits whatsoever ( If you want to see his views in detail refer to these videos: https://youtu.be/P5gyrOLDNTw and https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ayn99). He went so as far as to recommend the Ratio Studiorum as a guideline for study. I decided then to make some kind of program to study the language and not bore myself to death. I would split in 7 or so parts ( or years)and make his proposal somewhat more doable (whilst keeping 20 hours a week mark in sight).

1st year:
Textbooks:
-Latin for Beginners by D’Oodge
-LLPSI-Familia Romana

Readers:
-Ritchie’s Fabula Faciles
-New Gradatim
-Roma Aeterna
-Ladder to Caesar

Authentic texts:
-Vergil’s first eclogue
-Caesar’s De Bello Gallico

2nd year:

Authentic texts:
- Vergil’s Aeneid
- Ovid
-Catullus
-Cicero’s In Catilinam

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

Grammars in extensive reading:
-A&G
-Gildersleeve

3rd year:

Authentic texts:
-Sallust
-Tibullus
-Propertius
-Livy

omposition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

4rth year:

Authentic texts:
-Seneca’s letters
-Suetonius
- Terence

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

5th year:

Revision of the previous four years

6th year:

Authentic text:
-Horace’s Odes

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

7th year

Authentic text:
-Horace’s Odes
- Tacitus’ Annales

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve
Last edited by Cristoferuritius15 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

Klyson
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Planning a reading list for Latin learning and a study plan for 7 or so years

Post by Klyson »

Hello! I'll start by noting that I've only been learning Latin for 2.5+ years (since, with a 6 month break at one point, November 2019).

Furthermore, it's worth noting that many parts of Roma Aeterna are quite a bit harder than DBG. And, I'd argue, at the end of your year 2, having diligently (I mean this quite literally, for otherwise you'll move too quickly through your plan) read through your year 1 and 2 schedules, most of Latin literature should be *accessible*. Do not suppose that I mean it will all be easily legible - if this is your goal, there is no better method than reading 1-2+ hours of *level-appropriate* Latin everyday - but your plan will eventually work, and if you wish to come as quickly as possible to *real* texts, it isn't a bad one. Are you intending to be a scholar? Or are you learning for fun? The former demands A.S.A.P. engagement with important texts, I think (which will ultimately compromise your efficiency in becoming 'fluent'), while the latter does not. It depends on you.

I do wonder, as well, what you mean by "grammars in extensive reading". I've found both those grammars very helpful, but mostly for no more than clarifying a particular point about which I was lost.

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Re: Planning a reading list for Latin learning and a study plan for 7 or so years

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

This is very ambitious, I'm happy to hear that you are so interested in learning Latin.

Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

Cristoferuritius15 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am I’ve heard from Paul Veyne that “no student of Latin after 7 years of study would be able to read two lines of authentic text” ( a bit of a hyperbole to my mind, but with some truth in it, just look at Persius and Statius) and that less than 20 hours a week would yield no fruits whatsoever ( If you want to see his views in detail refer to these videos: https://youtu.be/P5gyrOLDNTw and https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ayn99). He went so as far as to recommend the Ratio Studiorum as a guideline for study. I decided then to make some kind of program to study the language and not bore myself to death. I would split in 7 or so parts ( or years)and make his proposal somewhat more doable (whilst keeping 20 hours a week mark in sight).

1st year:
Textbooks:
-Latin for Beginners by D’Oodge
-LLPSI-Familia Romana

Readers:
-Ritchie’s Fabula Faciles
-New Gradatim
-Roma Aeterna
-Ladder to Caesar

Authentic texts:
-Vergil’s first eclogue
-Caesar’s De Bello Gallico

2nd year:

Authentic texts:
- Vergil’s Aeneid
- Ovid
-Catullus
-Cicero’s In Catilinam

Composition exercises:
- Gildersleeve’s Exercises in Prose Composition

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

3rd year:

Authentic texts:
-Sallust
-Tibullus
-Propertius
-Livy

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

4rth year:

Authentic texts:
-Seneca’s letters
-Suetonius
- Terence

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

5th year:

Revision of the previous four years

6th year:

Authentic text:
-Horace’s Odes

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

7th year

Authentic text:
-Horace’s Odes
- Tacitus’ Annales

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

varnenas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by varnenas »

Hello!

I just came across this thread, and it sounds like a fantastic plan! How is it going? I can imagine that after Veyne's interview, not a few beginner Latin and Greek students would apply themselves to their studies with triple force. I myself had this impulse after watching.

GloriaPatri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GloriaPatri »

Cristoferuritius15 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am 2nd year:

Authentic texts:
- Vergil’s Aeneid
- Ovid
-Catullus
-Cicero’s In Catilinam

Composition exercises:
Undecided yet

-A&G
-Gildersleeve

3rd year:

Authentic texts:
-Sallust
-Tibullus
-Propertius
-Livy
Are you sure you want to approach Vergil and Ovid before Sallust and Livy? I think Sallust is much easier than Vergil or Ovid. Though laudable, I wouldn't recommending doing a bunch of poetry (especially not the enormous Aeneid) only in your second year.
Miserēre meī, Deus, secundum magnam misericordiam tuam; et secundum multitūdinem miserātiōnum tuārum, dēlē inīquitātem meam. Amplius lavā mē ab inīquitāte meā, et ā peccātō meō mundā mē.