Hello everybody! Saluete omnes! Χαιρετε πάντες!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Hello everybody! Saluete omnes! Χαιρετε πάντες!

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

Hi, guys. My name is Chris and I must say that one of my favorite (if not the favorite) topic is the traditional classics. As far as I can remember, I have always loved Classical history ( 5th-4th century Greece, and the history of Rome from the days narrated by Polybius to the breakup of the Empire).
When I was 14 or so, I discovered Horace, Tibullus, Propertius and Vergil. I did not read them at once, but was draw to them gradually through the reading of Camões, Bernardes, Antônio Vieira, Bocage, Cláudio Manoel da Costa, Thomáz Antônio Gonzaga, Silva Alvarenga and last but not least Fernando Pessoa( needless to say I am a native Portuguese speaker!). They all made frequent allusions to the Classical poets, from Theocritus to Lucan and have got me interested. So over the last ten or so years I have attempted in various forms to learn Greek and Latin, to engage with the texts. I did not have any formal classical education, I have had training in high school very similar to what Italians might know as the Liceo Scientifico and then went on to study Diplomacy and Internacional Commerce, so that you may see how far I am removed from the field of Classics and how close I am related to it historically ( before World War I, professionalized diplomats were mainly educated in the Classics, and especially on Polybius, Thucydides, Aristotle and Plato).
I hope I can have good and productive interactions with you guys, thanks for welcoming me here.
Valete!
Last edited by Cristoferuritius15 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hello everybody! Saluete omnes! Καιρετε πάντες!

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hello everybody! Saluete omnes! Χαιρετε πάντες!

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

Thank you for your kindness.
Adenda: Let me apologize for my rookie and, most importantly, slacker mistake, guys. I have yet to begin any serious study of Greek, so I have took Κ in place of Χ ( aspirated k, kh) while writing the word «χαίρετε» ( I was under the impression that it would follow the logic of καλός and καιρός). If you guys would be so kind as to ignore it, I would be more than happy. I do wish I can become a somewhat serious student of Greek, as most of you are.
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

JasonBaker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JasonBaker »

Welcome! It's good to have you here!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Cristoferuritius15 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:46 pm Thank you for your kindness.
Adenda: Let me apologize for my rookie and, most importantly, slacker mistake, guys. I have yet to begin any serious study of Greek, so I have took Κ in place of Χ ( aspirated k, kh) while writing the word «χαίρετε» ( I was under the impression that it would follow the logic of καλός and καιρός). If you guys would be so kind as to ignore it, I would be more than happy. I do wish I can become a somewhat serious student of Greek, as most of you are.
The administrator took care of it.