Romulus

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Villanelle
Textkit Member

Romulus

Post by Villanelle »

I was curious as to whether anyone here on Textkit has seen the TV show Romulus which is spoken entirely in Proto Latin which is said to date from around 800BC? If so are you able to tell me if indeed the Latin they use on the show is an authentic proto Latin or one that is modified for TV and where it is in fact the precursor to Classical and thence to mediaeval Latin?

Cheers.
Villanelle

Cristoferuritius15
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Romulus

Post by Cristoferuritius15 »

Isn’t that the sequel to the Italian movie "Il primo ré" I believe @Lucus Eques did a vídeo about that. If this is the case, it is really a mixed bag, a true mish mash of valid historical reconstructions and anachronisms. See it here: https://youtu.be/2anB0BDJ5f0
Hope I have helped
« Bonus vero vir sine deo nemo est; an potest aliquis supra fortunam nisi ab illo adiutus exurgere? Ille dat consilia magnifica et erecta. »

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Hi,

No it actually isn't the sequel to that movie. It's a separate stand alone series and up to season 2 now. I found it almost impossible to follow :lol: . They seemed to say "esti" a lot and that's kind of all I could follow!

Cheers.
Villanelle

Antonius Calvus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Antonius Calvus »

I have seen all episodes now except the last two of season two. Good stuff. I remember reading somewhere that the Latinists who worked on the show mixed in some classical Latin to make it easier for the actors, but it's obvious that there's still a good portion of proto-Latin in it. Since I'm not an expert on the subject I cannot judge how well it's been done, but I remember smiling when I heard the lead woman say "floses" instead of "flores", an example of pre-rhotacism.

I raise my glass to the producers who decided to take this route. It makes the show feel much more genuine.
Fures privatorum furtorum in nervo atque in compedibus aetatem agunt, fures publici in auro atque in purpura.

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

Antonius Calvus wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:40 pm I have seen all episodes now except the last two of season two. Good stuff. I remember reading somewhere that the Latinists who worked on the show mixed in some classical Latin to make it easier for the actors, but it's obvious that there's still a good portion of proto-Latin in it. Since I'm not an expert on the subject I cannot judge how well it's been done, but I remember smiling when I heard the lead woman say "floses" instead of "flores", an example of pre-rhotacism.

I raise my glass to the producers who decided to take this route. It makes the show feel much more genuine.
It is definitely well made and excellently researched. I haven't seen season 2 yet and need to do a recap of Season 1 before plunging into it. It's good to hear your comments on it :D .

Cheers.
Villanelle