Missing definitions?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Missing definitions?

Post by Avocado »

I've noticed that sometimes it seems like there's a bunch of meanings not included in Logeion that are in Perseus. For example, φόνου in Logeion is a noun meaning murder, but in Perseus Hopper it is also a verb meaning 'stain with blood' or 'be murderous'.

What is the reason they deleted the other meanings? Were they not actually in use and only theoretical contructs?

Cheers

Avocado
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Missing definitions?

Post by Avocado »

Like, if you go here it shows only the noun definition, not the verbs. Diogenes, also, says it has the corrected entries from Logeion, and those seem to be the same (without as many meanings).

So is that why the uchicago site doesn't show the other meanings, because they're not actually used in Greek? Just auto-generated by the Perseus computers based on the word endings?

Or am I totally wrong here? lol

truks
Textkit Member

Re: Missing definitions?

Post by truks »

Avocado wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 am Like, if you go here it shows only the noun definition, not the verbs. Diogenes, also, says it has the corrected entries from Logeion, and those seem to be the same (without as many meanings).

So is that why the uchicago site doesn't show the other meanings, because they're not actually used in Greek? Just auto-generated by the Perseus computers based on the word endings?

Or am I totally wrong here? lol
Diogenes does use the corrected entries (definitions and citations) from Logeion, but I believe either the two use different morphological data to identify lemmata or Logeion is just more restrictive – not sure which.

In the example you cite in your original post, φόνου is an inflected form of both the noun φόνος and the verb φονόω. Diogenes will show you both, but Logeion is a bit less flexible. When working with Logeion, it's best to figure out what the dictionary form is for the term you're looking for (in this case, either φόνος or φονόω) and enter that in Logeion's search field. Logeion does parse inflections, but it may not show all possible lemmata matching your particular inflected form.