Salutations

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
NolanusTrismegistus
Textkit Neophyte

Salutations

Post by NolanusTrismegistus »

Salutations all.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been teaching myself Latin and Greek over the past several months to enormous success. Learning them has all been a real treat, not to unlock the great literature of these languages, but also in the philological and linguistic skills one develops over the course of study.

For Greek, I'm using Athenaze, Mastronarde, and Pharr, and for Latin, Lingua Latina and Wheellocks. Greek right now is taking the higher priority.

A little bit about my interests. For a very long time now, I've had deep interest in history, philosophy, the history of science, mythology, and the origins of literature. I'm coming to Greek and Latin with already having read many of these foundational classical texts in translation and their associated scholarship. This is a hobby project born of curiosity, though I consider myself thoroughly an autodidact and am not associated with any universities. But, I do plan on eventually producing content on these things I find interesting.

Lately I've been interested in two main paths to apply my Greek and Latin: the one is getting more familiar with the epic cycles, myths, stories, legends, archetypes, etc. that forms the basis of much of the world's literature, from Homer and Hesiod through to the Tragedians, to Virgil, Ovid, their influences on the works of Dante, Shakespeare, Milton. There's been a lot of interesting scholarship as well around the origins of Homer and Hesiod in the Hittite and Ancient Near-Eastern traditions, and PIE origins that I also find fascinating.

The other path is looking at the history of philosophical and scientific development from the ancients to the Rennaissance and early modern period, especially the influence of Neoplatonism and the Hermetic tradition on scientific and mathematical thinking. There are a lot of very interesting Medieval/Neo-Latin writings like Ficino, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, Giordano Bruno, Raymon Lull, Paracelsus, the Latin Averroists, and Spinoza.

I'm always open for conversation about anything classics, philosophy or history related -- definitely feel free reach out and message me.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Salutations

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

JasonBaker
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Salutations

Post by JasonBaker »

Welcome! So much great reading to look forward to!