Salvēte omnēs!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
JasonBaker
Textkit Neophyte

Salvēte omnēs!

Post by JasonBaker »

Salvēte omnēs! I just joined and wanted to post a quick hello! I have studied many languages in general but am currently really into Latin. I have gone thru Henle, Wheelock's, LLPSI, Cambridge, A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin and others and am really enjoying the language. It's good to be here!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Salvēte omnēs!

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

JasonBaker wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:41 pm Salvēte omnēs! I just joined and wanted to post a quick hello! I have studied many languages in general but am currently really into Latin. I have gone thru Henle, Wheelock's, LLPSI, Cambridge, A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin and others and am really enjoying the language. It's good to be here!
Hi Jason,

Which edition of A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin do you use and/or recommend? And same question for the Answer Key.

Nice to meet you - I am a big fan of Latin also :D

Cheers.
Villanelle

JasonBaker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JasonBaker »

Villanelle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:34 am
JasonBaker wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:41 pm Salvēte omnēs! I just joined and wanted to post a quick hello! I have studied many languages in general but am currently really into Latin. I have gone thru Henle, Wheelock's, LLPSI, Cambridge, A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin and others and am really enjoying the language. It's good to be here!
Hi Jason,

Which edition of A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin do you use and/or recommend? And same question for the Answer Key.

Cheers.
Hello! Of those books A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin was the final one I did. I have the newest edition of both the main book and the answer key so I cannot comment on previous editions. I do have multiple editions of LLPSI Familia Romana and of Wheelock's which I can comment on. Despite the specialized subject matter oddly I found A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin to be my favorite book in regards to grammar learning. Everything is presented so straight forwardly and explained so well without wasting lots of pages doing so. Also, despite the Ecclesiastical focus I didn't find the sentences I was dealing with annoying Like I did with Henle and even partially with Wheelock. With Henle once you read and translate tons and tons sentences like "The sailors praise Mary but do not praise the war" it start to destroy your will to live after awhile :lol:

Even though I didn't learn Latin specifically to read the Vulgata (I am more into Classical stuff) I will say I found it extremely satisfying to be reading and translating hundreds of Bible verses even just halfway thru the book. I think it's a great book to learn grammar from before perhaps moving on to LLPSI which is maybe the best Latin book ever written in general for new-ish students but is maybe lacking trying to learn grammar from. There are great companion books that were written later for Familia Romana and Roma Aeterna which do help explain grammar and concepts but I still think its easier to just learn from a book like this one for grammar and then move on to reading for gaining vocab and further syntax.

P.S. I made a custom Memrise course for all 35 Units of this book and am in the process of recording audio for each unit with an Ecclesiastical pronunciation. It's a completely free course. Send me a message if you want a link to it. I also have all the vocab on Quizlet and Brainscape but without audio. Also have all 4 books of the Cambridge series on Memrise recorded with a Classical pronunciation for that one.

Villanelle
Textkit Member

Post by Villanelle »

JasonBaker wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Villanelle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:34 am
Hi Jason,

Cheers.
Hello! Of those books A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin was the final one I did. I have the newest edition of both the main book and the answer key so I cannot comment on previous editions. I do have multiple editions of LLPSI Familia Romana and of Wheelock's which I can comment on. Despite the specialized subject matter oddly I found A Primer Of Ecclesiastical Latin to be my favorite book in regards to grammar learning. Everything is presented so straight forwardly and explained so well without wasting lots of pages doing so. Also, despite the Ecclesiastical focus I didn't find the sentences I was dealing with annoying Like I did with Henle and even partially with Wheelock. With Henle once you read and translate tons and tons sentences like "The sailors praise Mary but do not praise the war" it start to destroy your will to live after awhile :lol:

Even though I didn't learn Latin specifically to read the Vulgata (I am more into Classical stuff) I will say I found it extremely satisfying to be reading and translating hundreds of Bible verses even just halfway thru the book. I think it's a great book to learn grammar from before perhaps moving on to LLPSI which is maybe the best Latin book ever written in general for new-ish students but is maybe lacking trying to learn grammar from. There are great companion books that were written later for Familia Romana and Roma Aeterna which do help explain grammar and concepts but I still think its easier to just learn from a book like this one for grammar and then move on to reading for gaining vocab and further syntax.

P.S. I made a custom Memrise course for all 35 Units of this book and am in the process of recording audio for each unit with an Ecclesiastical pronunciation. It's a completely free course. Send me a message if you want a link to it. I also have all the vocab on Quizlet and Brainscape but without audio. Also have all 4 books of the Cambridge series on Memrise recorded with a Classical pronunciation for that one.

Hi Jason,

I did send you a DM but for some reason it is still stuck in my outgoing mail view so hasn't been sent to you. Please keep an eye out for it when it (hopefully) finally arrives!

Cheers.
Villanelle