Translation of Lesson LXXVII from D'Ooge's book

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation of Lesson LXXVII from D'Ooge's book

Post by Propertius »

On pg. 190 in D'Ooge's book; on pg. 34 of the answer key.

I. 1. The soldiers that we saw said that the command of the war is of Caesar the general. 2. The Helvetii decided to assemble as great a number as possible of horses and of wagons. 3. The Helvetii have the most power of the whole of Gaul. 4. There was fierce fighting for many hours nor was anyone able to see the enemy fleeing. 5. The men of the greatest courage pursued the enemy for tens of miles. 6. Caesar persuaded the Roman people to make him a consul. 7. The victory of the army was always very pleasing to the general. 8. They marched for three days and arrived at Geneva, the town of the enemy. 9. Caesar heard that the Germans brought the war to the Gauls. 10. It was of great use to Caesar’s soldiers what they had employed in previous battles.
II. 1. Unus ex regis filiis multique virorum eius capti sunt. 2. Erat nullus qui eam reginam creare cuperet. 3. Res frumentaria semper curae Caesari imperatori erat. 4. Existimo castra decem mille passum abesse. 5. Iter fecimus tres horas per silvam densissimam. 6. Consilium belli inferendi sociis regi non erat gratum. 7. Ubi ad collem venit muro duodecim pedum eum munivit.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation of Lesson LXXVII from D'Ooge's book

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:58 am On pg. 190 in D'Ooge's book; on pg. 34 of the answer key.

I. 1. The soldiers that we saw said that the command of the war is of Caesar the general. 2. The Helvetii decided to assemble as great a number as possible of horses and of wagons. 3. The Helvetii had the most power of the whole of Gaul. 4. There was fierce fighting for many hours nor was anyone able to see the enemy fleeing. 5. The men of the greatest courage pursued the enemy for ten miles. 6. Caesar persuaded the Roman people to make him a consul. 7. The victory of the army was always very pleasing to the general. 8. They marched for three days and arrived at Geneva, the town of the enemy. 9. Caesar heard that the Germans brought the war to the Gauls. 10. It was of great use to Caesar’s soldiers what they had trained themselves in previous battles.
II. 1. Unus ex regis filiis multique virorum eius capti sunt. 2. Erat nullus qui eam reginam creare cuperet. 3. Res frumentaria semper curae Caesari imperatori erat. 4. Existimo castra decem mille passum abesse. 5. Iter fecimus tres horas per silvam densissimam. 6. Consilium belli inferendi sociis regi non erat gratum. 7. Ubi ad collem venit muro duodecim pedum eum munivit.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:25 pm
Propertius wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:58 am On pg. 190 in D'Ooge's book; on pg. 34 of the answer key.

I. 1. The soldiers that we saw said that the command of the war is of Caesar the general. 2. The Helvetii decided to assemble as great a number as possible of horses and of wagons. 3. The Helvetii had the most power of the whole of Gaul. 4. There was fierce fighting for many hours nor was anyone able to see the enemy fleeing. 5. The men of the greatest courage pursued the enemy for ten miles. 6. Caesar persuaded the Roman people to make him a consul. 7. The victory of the army was always very pleasing to the general. 8. They marched for three days and arrived at Geneva, the town of the enemy. 9. Caesar heard that the Germans brought the war to the Gauls. 10. It was of great use to Caesar’s soldiers what they had trained themselves in previous battles.
Hi,
I have few questions regarding these two exercises and the answers you have suggested.

I. 10. Magno usui militibus Caesaris erat quod prioribus proeliis sese exercuerant.
- Does "quod", here, mean "what" or "because"?
- What is the case of "Prioribus proeliis"? ablative? dative? and why? and why it has been translated by "in (previous battles)"?

II. 2. Can I translate it like this? "Nemo erat qui eam reginam creare vellet".

4. Isnt' there a mistake in your translation "decem mille passum"? I know from the book that "mille" in the plural is declinable and takes the partitive genitive, e.g. decem milia militum. Therefore I would translate it: "Existimo/puto/arbitror/credo castra decem milia passuum abesse". Am I wrong?

6. Can I translate also like this: "Consilium inferendi bellum sociis regi non placuit"?.

7. Are these two translations possible?
- "Quando in collem venit muro duodecim pedum eum munivit".
- "Cum in/ad collem perveniret muro duodecim pedum eum munivit".

Thank you for your clarifications.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hi,

I. 10. quod can be rendered as "that", "the fact that," or something similar.
It's instrumental (I think) ablative. Maybe you could say "through previous battles," but it's just the way English works.

II. 2. Yes

4. Right! I'll correct the key and re-upload it. Thanks for catching it.

6. Yes.

7. I think you could use in, with a slight change of meaning.
Pervēnisset, since the main verb is in the perfect tense.

PS
Actually the correction is already there. Make sure you get the latest version of the key.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:25 pm
Thank you for your clarifications.

Just one more thing. In the key you write:

"II. 4. Castra credo passuum decem milibus abesse".

What is mille in the dative/ablative plural and not "milia"?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

It is possible to use the ablative, beside the accusative. See absum. I guess it was in the key before and I retained it.