Your Ranks Continue to Swell

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
SameUsernameOnReddit
Textkit Neophyte

Your Ranks Continue to Swell

Post by SameUsernameOnReddit »

My name is Michael, and I'm a security guard who's learning ancient Greek on his own time. Started late last November, and then had to catch a bunch of 12h shifts back-to-back for a few weeks, so I haven't made much progress since...

Latin's cool too, but my problem is that I always want to do things the hard/dumb way. So when I heard that Greek was more challenging... Well, here I am. Right now I'm still working through Middlebury's William Harris' articles, and really liking what I'm reading. Bastard'll have me trying to memorize the Illiad or something, if I'm not careful. I am a bit lost on his ideas on pronunciation, since as far as I can tell, all the recorded learning material that's online, quality, & free, is the kind of pronunciation he hates. If any of you know what I'm talking about, and have advice or even just pointers on who to hit up for this kinda thing, lemme know!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Your Ranks Continue to Swell

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

nescapethegreat
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nescapethegreat »

Hello there! Its awesome that you are taking your time to practice and learn Ancient Greek, an arguably harder language lol :D
My classes in Ancient Greek use the Athenazene: An Introduction to Ancient Greek by Maurice Balme and Gilbert Lawall- It has both the PDF and hardcopy books which can be found and also resources catelouge from Cornell College- have linked it below.
Hope it will be useful and all the Best!
https://www.cornellcollege.edu/classica ... ndex.shtml

JasonBaker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JasonBaker »

Χαῖρε!