Appendix III, page 280

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Appendix III, page 280

Post by Anto »

First of all, I have to say that English is not my first language.
Second, I have just finished the reviews of Appendix III. Usually, I like these reviews because they help me to confirm better what I have already learned through the lessons. But, here I discovered that I have a problem in translating few words from Latin to English (I guess it is because English is not my native language), especially some adverbs and comparative/superlative adjectives. Sometimes, I don't know if it is an Adverb (in English) or Adjective. Is there any key for Appendix III? Otherwise, can anyone check if my translations are correct?

1. Less: minus (adv.).
2. More: magis (adv.); -, plus (adj.).
3. Most: maxime; plurimum (adv.); plurimus, -a, -um (adj.).
4. Low: humilis, humile; inferus, -a, -um.
5. Very much: maxime; plurimum (adv.).
6. Much: multum (adv.); multus, -a, -um (adj.).

Thank you for any help.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Appendix III, page 280

Post by jeidsath »

Note: Copying this topic to Learning Latin from the D'Ooge forum so that people can see it.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

I am new here. I do not know how to do it. A little bit confused.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

You did nothing wrong. The Textbook forums are seen by fewer people, and sometimes replies can take a while. So I copied this thread so that it now appears in both.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

Thank you very much.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

Anto, these translations are generally correct, but you should be aware that they will not always be correct in all contexts. For example, the plural of multus -- multi, -ae, -a -- usually translates as "many." The adjective inferus doesn't mean just "low": it means something like English "underneath" or "below," in relation to something else. Technically, the English words are adverbs, unlike the Latin word. But, of course, your ultimate goal should be to read and understand Latin without translating to English or any other language.
Bill Walderman

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I don't think it matters whether something is an adverb or adjective in English. The important thing is whether it's an adverb or adjective in Latin. For example minus can be an adverb but it is also a neuter comparative adjective. Only context will tell you which is right. Make sure you understand how adverbs are formed and how comparative/superlative adjectives are formed. I think doing an exercise like this without complete sentences is not very helpful.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

Hylander wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:08 pm Anto, these translations are generally correct, but you should be aware that they will not always be correct in all contexts. For example, the plural of multus -- multi, -ae, -a -- usually translates as "many." The adjective inferus doesn't mean just "low": it means something like English "underneath" or "below," in relation to something else. Technically, the English words are adverbs, unlike the Latin word. But, of course, your ultimate goal should be to read and understand Latin without translating to English or any other language.
Thank you, it was very helpful. I appreciate it.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

seneca2008 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:47 pm I don't think it matters whether something is an adverb or adjective in English. The important thing is whether it's an adverb or adjective in Latin. For example minus can be an adverb but it is also a neuter comparative adjective. Only context will tell you which is right. Make sure you understand how adverbs are formed and how comparative/superlative adjectives are formed. I think doing an exercise like this without complete sentences is not very helpful.
Thank you Seneca. Yes, I understand very well the lessons on comparative/superlative adjectives and adverbs. It was not difficult for me, because I know other Latin Languages. But, you are right doing an exercise like this (translating words from English to Latin without complete sentences or without saying if they want the adverb or the adjectives) was not very helpful and made me a little bit hesitant.