CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum) searchable database?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum) searchable database?

Post by Lucus Eques »

L. Amādeus omnibus salūtem!

I am looking for a good way to access the CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum). My impetus for searching it is to find the dates of inscriptions given by Sturtevant (1920) for certain spelling confusions, for example on p. 17 Sturtevant has "admenistrator, CIL xii. 674."

I understand that everything after CIL vol i is Imperial in age, so after Julius Caesar's death in 44 BC, and that every other volume is specifically devoid of any inscriptions from the Republican era — is this correct? If so, this would at least allow me to date anything not from CIL vol i as "Imperial."

But I would like to actually find these inscriptions in the CIL, where I hope to find context for the approximate century if not the exact date.

The best I've come across so far is this:

https://cil.bbaw.de/en/homenavigation/the-cil/volumes

But I have found every aspect of it nearly impossible to use, much less find a single inscription. Searching for "admenistrator" reveals this:

https://arachne.dainst.org/search?q=admenistrator

That is, nothing.

I would very much like to get my hands on an easy-to-access version of the CIL, which could take any of three forms:

1) A physical copy that I could purchase (at a reasonable price, since everything on Amazon I've seen is exceedingly overpriced, and in any case Amazon only has a couple of the dozen or so volumes)
2) PDFs of all the volumes (at least the ones published in the 19th century)
3) A searchable online database (something like PHI, https://latin.packhum.org/search )

With certain searchable databases of this type, like PHI or especially the TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae), it's not immediately obvious to the user how to operate the thing effectively, and it usually takes an experienced hand to guide the newbie on how to make a decent use of the website.

Is that the case for the link above? I've found both the TEI-viewer and DFG-viewer virtually useless.

If you have experience with the CIL, auxilium ōrō! please help by giving me some guidance on how to find certain inscriptions so that I can date them.

Summās grātiās vōbīs agō!
Last edited by Lucus Eques on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum) searchable datable?

Post by jeidsath »

The volumes are online at Hathi Trust. And maybe archive.org?

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: CIL (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum) searchable database?

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thanks very much! Hathi Trust was definitely what I needed. I have been able to successfully download from it most of the PDFs I was missing. Now I need to find the following volumes in PDF (or a way to access the pages):

Vol 4
Vol 9
Vol 10 part 1
Vol 11 part 2
Vol 13 part 1
Vol 13 part 2
Vol 16

I haven't yet found these either on Hathi or at Archive.org. Thanks in advance if you have any tips! Vol 9 inscription 4204 is of particular interest to me. It's to further the research I recently presented here: https://youtu.be/Mu-slOBurvM
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS