Italian Athenaze Readers

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Italian Athenaze Readers

Post by jaihare »

I’ve been working through Athenaze with a study group. We spend a lot of time in the readings.

I’m interested in grabbing someone who would like to read one-on-one as fast as possible from the beginning of the book straight through.

I have posted the text of all readings from the Italian version online as we’ve been working through it—and I can give you password access to the readings. It is simply the text with no grammar, no vocab helps, etc.

I want to read fast, focusing on pronunciation, rhythm, cadence—not translating, but only stopping for discussion when something is unclear.

I use something close to the Restored Classical pronunciation, but you’re free to use any pronunciation. I’m looking to run, to rush, to speed through the text.

Looking to meet once or twice a week with a competent Greek reader.

Any takers?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Italian Athenaze Readers

Post by jaihare »

We can start in a later chapter if reading the introductory chapters isn’t appealing.
I just want to get started soon.

Anyone?

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

I can give it a try, why not? I have never read that text before, so if we are gonna read it that way, count me in.
my mail is meuwww17@icloud.com

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Sohtnirybal wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:47 pm I can give it a try, why not? I have never read that text before, so if we are gonna read it that way, count me in.
my mail is meuwww17@icloud.com
I didn't think a month would pass without me checking back in on Textkit. I don't get notifications when someone responds. I'll write you privately by mail.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I did send you a mail, as mentioned, and I’m looking forward to your response.

NolanusTrismegistus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NolanusTrismegistus »

I too would be very interested! I'm currently working my way through the 3rd edition of the English Athenaze (thank you so much for posting your answer keys by the way!), and supplimenting my readings with the Italian edition.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

NolanusTrismegistus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:31 am I too would be very interested! I'm currently working my way through the 3rd edition of the English Athenaze (thank you so much for posting your answer keys by the way!), and supplimenting my readings with the Italian edition.
Well, I have both second and third editions of the books in print, and I've got the teacher's manual, too. There's an answer key in the teacher's manual.

We're currently on chapter 24. What part of the book are you on? We're doing all of the readings from both the English and the Italian versions, and we're working through the exercises orally, both Greek→English and English→Greek, over Skype. In the past couple of chapters, we've been going slow and reading the grammar explanations together. Really just trying to invest, read, read again, review, so that we make it through strong.

Jason

NolanusTrismegistus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NolanusTrismegistus »

jaihare wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:44 pm
Well, I have both second and third editions of the books in print, and I've got the teacher's manual, too. There's an answer key in the teacher's manual.

We're currently on chapter 24. What part of the book are you on? We're doing all of the readings from both the English and the Italian versions, and we're working through the exercises orally, both Greek→English and English→Greek, over Skype. In the past couple of chapters, we've been going slow and reading the grammar explanations together. Really just trying to invest, read, read again, review, so that we make it through strong.

Jason
You're much further than I am. I'm on chapter 13, although I'm trying to do two chapters a week (while reviewing 3-5 previous chapters per day). What is your pace like, ie, how often do you meet and complete a chapter? Even if I'm a good couple of chapters behind, I might still benefit from these sessions.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

NolanusTrismegistus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 am You're much further than I am. I'm on chapter 13, although I'm trying to do two chapters a week (while reviewing 3-5 previous chapters per day). What is your pace like, ie, how often do you meet and complete a chapter? Even if I'm a good couple of chapters behind, I might still benefit from these sessions.
We meet weekly on Mondays at what is midnight for me in Tel Aviv (GMT + 02:00). That corresponds to Monday evening at 17:00 (5:00 p.m.) in New York. We work for an hour and fifteen minutes.

My personal goal is reading fluency with as much comprehension as possible.

You're welcome to join. We're taking a couple of weeks per chapter to cover all of the readings and translation work together. I can shoot you the Zoom link if you like.

You can access a pdf example of how I present the exercises here. We use Zoom, and I present the exercises in Excel during the session. The readings are online here without any reading helps.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

jaihare wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:10 pm
NolanusTrismegistus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 am You're much further than I am. I'm on chapter 13, although I'm trying to do two chapters a week (while reviewing 3-5 previous chapters per day). What is your pace like, ie, how often do you meet and complete a chapter? Even if I'm a good couple of chapters behind, I might still benefit from these sessions.
We meet weekly on Mondays at what is midnight for me in Tel Aviv (GMT + 02:00). That corresponds to Monday evening at 17:00 (5:00 p.m.) in New York. We work for an hour and fifteen minutes.

My personal goal is reading fluency with as much comprehension as possible.

You're welcome to join. We're taking a couple of weeks per chapter to cover all of the readings and translation work together. I can shoot you the Zoom link if you like.

You can access a pdf example of how I present the exercises here. We use Zoom, and I present the exercises in Excel during the session. The readings are online here without any reading helps.
I've got Excel on the brain (because of work)! No, I present them in PowerPoint.