Galileo 5

Latin after CDLXXVI
Wilbur
Textkit Neophyte

Galileo 5

Post by Wilbur »

When I last left Galileo, he stated he was going to make more exact observations. And he did. He started adding more observations on some nights, estimated the distance of the moons to Jupiter and to each other (and quite accurate), and occasionally gave more specific times of his observations.

I was moving along until I found two items I can't figure out.

1. On the 17th he took an observation 30 min after sunset, then four hours later he finds that there are now two moons where there was one before, and states (his page 19, second page, after the first diagram):
"Media Stella orientali quam proxima min: tantum sec:20. elongabatur ab illa, ..."

I found earlier that proxima with time means "just before." But how does tantum fit in?

2. Then, on the 19th (bottom of the same page), he writes that he thinks there is a Stellula right next to Jupiter: Anceps eram tunc nunquid inter orientalem Stellam, & Iouem Stellula mediaret, verum Ioui quamproxima, adeo ut illum fere tangeret; Then a few hours later, the Stellula is clearly distinct.

The opening clause is giving me trouble. I think he's saying something like "I was in doubt that could it be (that) a Stellula was between the eastern star and Jupiter, etc." nunquam is puzzling me as it seems to imply a question with a negative response. Am I close to interpreting this correctly?

I am amazed at how many clear nights he had. Here in the US Upper Midwest, I'm lucky if I get two clear nights in a row.

Thanks for any help; and thanks to all who have helped in the past. As an observer myself, I am enjoying Galileo's journey!

Wilbur

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Galileo 5

Post by bedwere »

1) I think here quam proxima means extremely close; tantum means only and modifies the verb elongabatur.

2) Yes, he was doubtful whether a little star was in the middle.

Wilbur
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wilbur »

bedwere,

Thank you.

Now I'm not sure I have this right: ...; aberant enim min: sc: vix 30. tantum.
which I rendered as "for they were further away by nearly 30 seconds."

Why vix and tantum? How does tantum fit here?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

vix -- hardly, scarcely

tantum -- only
Bill Walderman

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

tantum “only” is literally “so much (and no more).” It doesn’t cohere terribly well with vix “hardly” but by “hardly 30 seconds only” I assume he means “just 30 seconds if that.”

Wilbur
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wilbur »

Thanks everyone...much appreciated.