Recipes in Latin-Original and Apicius stuff

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Villanelle
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Recipes in Latin-Original and Apicius stuff

Post by Villanelle »

Hi Amy,

Are there any Roman style treats on your menu for Christmas?

Cheers.
Villanelle

AmyOfRome
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AmyOfRome »

I'm probably just doing cheesecake. I remember seeing the tasting history guy doing a Placenta video about that, but I haven't looked into it yet! :D

I redid the salad dressing video in Latin here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0ByFBb41w

notes: https://internetkindness.com/Recipes/HarmlessSalad.pdf

but I might just some local history videos and stuff on pizzelle (already plural, so pizzelles is double plural and singular is pizzella I guess? my Italian is not good!).

sometimes my uncle who is a chef or the other uncle from out of state brings me ingredients I can't find locally so I can use them for videos though, my gram is getting older so they are visiting more often!

I am also still reading through more of the German/Latin Apicius book still!

Villanelle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Villanelle »

AmyOfRome wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:55 pm I'm probably just doing cheesecake. I remember seeing the tasting history guy doing a Placenta video about that, but I haven't looked into it yet! :D

I redid the salad dressing video in Latin here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0ByFBb41w

notes: https://internetkindness.com/Recipes/HarmlessSalad.pdf

but I might just some local history videos and stuff on pizzelle (already plural, so pizzelles is double plural and singular is pizzella I guess? my Italian is not good!).

sometimes my uncle who is a chef or the other uncle from out of state brings me ingredients I can't find locally so I can use them for videos though, my gram is getting older so they are visiting more often!

I am also still reading through more of the German/Latin Apicius book still!

I will be doing a variation of the salad dressings you have gone through for the salad I will be serving for Christmas lunch Amy so thank you :D . If I don't get to you after this wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2023! Please do keep up posting about Roman food and drinks - I'm a huge fan!

Cheers.
Villanelle

AmyOfRome
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AmyOfRome »

Villanelle wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:14 am
I will be doing a variation of the salad dressings you have gone through for the salad I will be serving for Christmas lunch Amy so thank you :D . If I don't get to you after this wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2023! Please do keep up posting about Roman food and drinks - I'm a huge fan!

Cheers.
Thanks, same to you! I am still working on the pizzelles and some others, lol! But I made a short dog biscuits thing. A more historically accurate one might "throw your dog whatever food you don't want," haha!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jkmINeZcg

crustula canis facio. Unum poculum de farina, unum ovum, cinnamōmum, interdum facio crustula cum pulmentum e pomis vel peanutbutyro vel cucurbita. Misce. si mixtura nimis sicca est, augmenta cum rebus humidis, exempli gratia cum ovo vel cum pulmento e pomis, applesauce, anglice. si mixtura nimis humida est, augmenta cum farina. coque 20 min. inseca mixtura cum formis, cum cookiecutters, anglice, vel cum cultello, si tu formas non habes.

Villanelle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Villanelle »

AmyOfRome wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 am
Villanelle wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:14 am

Cheers.
Thanks, same to you! I am still working on the pizzelles and some others, lol! But I made a short dog biscuits thing. A more historically accurate one might "throw your dog whatever food you don't want," haha!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jkmINeZcg

crustula canis facio. Unum poculum de farina, unum ovum, cinnamōmum, interdum facio crustula cum pulmentum e pomis vel peanutbutyro vel cucurbita. Misce. si mixtura nimis sicca est, augmenta cum rebus humidis, exempli gratia cum ovo vel cum pulmento e pomis, applesauce, anglice. si mixtura nimis humida est, augmenta cum farina. coque 20 min. inseca mixtura cum formis, cum cookiecutters, anglice, vel cum cultello, si tu formas non habes.

What did the dogs think of these? They ate them up and enjoyed them?

Cheers.
Villanelle

AmyOfRome
Textkit Neophyte

Post by AmyOfRome »

Villanelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:20 am What did the dogs think of these? They ate them up and enjoyed them?

Cheers.
They enjoyed them, I've seen copycat MilkBone biscuit recipes with dairy ingredients and chicken stock, of course they'd enjoy meat ingredients too but many biscuits are based on the basic flour/water idea.

I've seen vegan recipes substituting applesauce for eggs in muffin recipes, which I thought was interesting. Of course dogs eat meat and animal products, but I mean it can work as a binder like the eggs do.

I've also made my dogs birthday "cakes" using mostly pumpkin, flour, and some peanut butter.

I've ordered some spelt flour and am meaning to get back to the panis quadratus (for humans!) though, I haven't been happy enough with my results, aesthetically, yet. and i've been watching bread videos. I have decided I like all the things on top of bread, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds.

Depends on the dog though, mine like anything. Sweet potatoes, biscuits, apples, peanut butter.

another attempt at bread with spelt flour: