De republica, liber secundus, again.

Latin after CDLXXVI
ohlavrac
Textkit Neophyte

De republica, liber secundus, again.

Post by ohlavrac »

I've found another difficult passage:

In prima itaque aetate quae infantia dicitur, quae ad septem usque protenditur annos, quoniam in aetate infans capere vel retinere potest, partim ob motum continuum, partim ob nimiam humiditatem, in nihilo prorsus ei est resistendum ut bene crescat.

In the first age, which is called infancy, and which extends to the age of seven, since the child cannot hold or maintain anything, partly because of [its] continuous movement, partly because of excessive moisture, absolutely nothing must be put in its way to grow well.

It sounds so weird that my translation must be wrong. Anyone could help me, please?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: De republica, liber secundus, again.

Post by bedwere »

A Google Books search tells me that you forgot to include nihil between infans and capere. Basically you got it right. One should not resist to him in anything so that he may grow well.

ohlavrac
Textkit Neophyte

Re: De republica, liber secundus, again.

Post by ohlavrac »

You're right, I forgot to write nihil, sorry, but I took it into consideration in the translation.
Anyway, if I got it right, I still have to discover what motus continuus and humiditas mean in the text. But that's maybe a historical context research. I'll search harder.

Thanks!