Classic Castillan Spanish Grammars?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Classic Castillan Spanish Grammars?

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

Hi,

I'm wanting study some older style Spanish and I'm looking for a good grammar, written in English and Spanish before say, 1950. The grammar I prefer for Latin would be Allen and Greenough, do you all know of anything similar for Spanish? Thank you.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Classic Castillan Spanish Grammars?

Post by Gonzalo »

I would recommend:
Ramón Menéndez Pidal, Manual de gramática histórica
Rafael Lapesa, Historia de la lengua española
Ralph Penny, A History Of The Spanish Language
(Any year / edition. Usually, newer are better.)

As for texts, you can read the Cátedra and Biblioteca Clásica de la RAE editions, which offer grammatical notes and other useful informations.

CMatthiasT88
Textkit Member

Post by CMatthiasT88 »

That title by Penny is close, but I'm looking for a more practical/ less historical approach. Like a reference grammar similar to Allen and Greenough. I found a title from 1915 Elementary Spanish Grammar by Allen and Spinoza, but it has excercises, and I dont want those either. One I'm looking at now is Brief Spanish Reference Grammar by Colbert 1971, but I would still prefer something older, and I'm betting that one exists.

borja
Textkit Neophyte

Post by borja »

Hola,
As far as I know the oldest Spanish grammar for English speakers was written by Antonio de Corros in 1590.

You can read the book here:https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/t ... 6.0001.001

Best regards,
Borja