Mortifera - Pronounciation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Mirakulix
Textkit Neophyte

Mortifera - Pronounciation

Post by Mirakulix »

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here. I'm interested in Latin, but basically with no skills at all - so please excuse my basic question. I understand that there are no hard rules in pronouncing latin, but still: I'd like to know if there are different views on how to pronounce "amor mortifera"? I'd put the emphasis on the [e] - looking forward to your expertise.
Thank you!

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: Mortifera - Pronounciation

Post by seneca2008 »

Normally first posts are on the open board in which you tell us something about yourself and your interest in classical studies. You may want to make a post there.

I am not sure why you think there are "no hard rules in pronouncing latin". You might like to look at this thread for a discussion: viewtopic.php?t=43010

Basically you have a choice between ecclesiastical and restored classical pronunciation. Most of us here would use the latter.

But I think you are asking more about where the accent lies rather than how to pronounce the word. The rules for word accent are fairly clear. I think the accent would be on ti (mor-ti-fer-a) on the second syllable of a polysyllabic word.

The scansion (ie whether the syllables are long/short or heavy/light) is mortĭfĕra.

I am sure the experts on this will be able to add or correct this post.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

will.dawe
Textkit Fan

Post by will.dawe »

@Mirakulix
You can try online service Collatinus:
  • type a word into the 'Process a Latin text' field
  • press 'Accentuate'
Two verses he could recollect // Of the Æneid, but incorrect.

jarapa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jarapa »

Fortunately for me, as a native Spanish speaker, there are many words in Latin that are accented the same as in Spanish ... however I always check, and in this case I was able to verify in Collatinus that "mortifera" is accentuated the same as in Spanish: " mortífera"...

Mirakulix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mirakulix »

Thanks a lot for your detailled replies - very helpful! Also I haven't been aware of Collatinus - a great tool, thanks for the hint.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

By the way, it should be amor mortifer, since amor is masculine.

Mirakulix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mirakulix »

indeed, thanks @bedwere!