Online: "Descriptio Graeciae" by Pausanias

Latin after CDLXXVI
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: "Descriptio Graeciae" by Pausanias

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

After quite a bit of work my transcription of the Latin version of Pausanias' Descriptio Graeciae is now availabe at Project Gutenberg. Please spread the word.

I added a comprehensive table of contents at the end of the text, inluding the summaries of the chapters, to provide a better overview. For more information about the transcription itself please read the Transcriber's Notes at the very end of the book. Warning: The index probably contains quite a few errors, as I did not check most references, only those that otherwise would have resulted in broken links in the HTML-edition.

This is the first time that I have used PPGEN, a piece of software used specifically to generate e-books, especially ones for Project Gutenberg. I tested the resulting e-book files with a desktop e-book reader, Kindle (a rather old one) and a larger-format e-book reader by Onyx. The results vary, but on the whole I am quite happy with this edition.

Enjoy! (and Happy Christmas!)

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Online: "Descriptio Graeciae" by Pausanias

Post by Aetos »

Nice work, Carole!

I just downloaded your transcription. Hyperlinking the entire index must have been an Herculean task! Congratulations on a job well done!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Yes many congratulations on bringing such a mammoth task to such a triumphant conclusion! One tiny thing that caught my eye, though: at 296 I don’t think you should have changed pancratio to quinquertio (if that’s what you in fact you did—I'm only going by your list).
What’s next?

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Hello!

Hyperlinking the index wasn't that big of a problem, because I used a regular expression (regex are really cool!!!) to do that . But proofreading the index (based on an OCR-version) was indeed quite a bit of work. Now, do all these hyperlinks lead somewhere? Yes, they do. Do all of them point to the correct passage? I doubt that, based on the amount of wrong references which would have created broken links if I had not changed them. Checking all the references would be... (what's the word used in Kill Bill?) ... "gargantuan". I leave that task for someone else. What's important to me, is that this text is finally available in a public domain digital Latin edition.

As for mwh's suggestion that I should not have made the change from "pancratio" to "quinquertio", I don't quite understand Look at the relevant passage from the HATHI-version of the text (page 296, line 32). Aeschines is clearly said to have won the "quinquertium" (the Greek text has "πεντάθλου"--I looked that one up at LOGEION), twice actually. Now look at the respective index entry "Æschines Eleus". Admittedly, I should have used the page number of the index entry, but I still believe that the change itself was valid. Why do you disagree?

As for future projects... Certainly something smaller. After an end of year-hiatus I'll probably continue work on a text about an expedition along the coast of West Africa in the early 16th century.

Carolus Raeticus

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

It was in your list of transcriber’s changes, as follows (I copy on my computer, and paste here):

296: "Æschines Eleus pancratio Olympionica, VI, 64, 13." → "Æschines Eleus quinquertio Olympionica, VI, 14, 13."
299: "erat de curuli ce tamine" → "erat de curuli certamine"
303: "quidem sententia non allii" → "quidem sententia non alii"
305: "ugeri spatio maceria circumsepta" → "ugeri spatio maceria circumsepta."
312: "certamen meditantes decurrnnt" → "certamen meditantes decurrunt"
328: "contra eos arma ceperunt," → "contra eos arma ceperunt."

Most of these are very minor indeed, and would challenge any proofreader—and I'm the world's worst proofreader. But at 296, as you can see, a change from pancratio to quinquertio is registered (as well as from 64 to 14 in the reference). Not even I could miss that! I expect you can figure out what went wrong.

But my purpose in writing was (and is) to congratulate you and to sing Carol!

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Yes, my list of changes includes the following item:
296: "Æschines Eleus pancratio Olympionica, VI, 64, 13." → "Æschines Eleus quinquertio Olympionica, VI, 14, 13."
What is wrong here, is the page number "296". That ought to be "553", because I applied the change to the index, not the main text. The other two changes are correct, however:
  • The reference "VI, 64, 13." is completely wrong because none of the books of the Descriptio Graeciae has more than 54 chapters (and that one is Book VIII). That's what first caught my attention, because the program I use flagged it as a broken link.
  • Only once I had found the correct passage ("VI, 14, 13.") did I notice the wrong "pancratio" in the index. And "pancratio" definitely is wrong (compare the page scans referred to in my previous post in this thread), as both the Greek and Latin passages in the main text do not refer to pankration, but to pentathlon (Latin "quinquertium" and Greek "πεντάθλου". Compare "pancratium").
Have a nice Christmas,

Carolus Raeticus

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

As I expected, you figured out what went wrong. But it scarcely detracts from the final product.

Merry Christmas!