JACT Reading Greek for Koine

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Michael204351
Textkit Neophyte

JACT Reading Greek for Koine

Post by Michael204351 »

Hello everyone,

I am currently using the Reading Greek course and am really enjoying it. My primary motivation for learning Greek is theological. I belong to the Greek Orthodox Church and would love to be able to read the NT, LXX, early hymnography, etc.

That being said, do any of you know how well prepared I will be after Reading Greek to read these sources?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: JACT Reading Greek for Koine

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I had three semesters of classical Greek before starting in on the NT (we actually read the gospel of Mark), and found myself quite well prepared (after Plato Mark seemed pretty easy, actually). We used a different beginning text prior to intermediate, but I think your experience could be very similar.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

UnsounderFiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Re: JACT Reading Greek for Koine

Post by UnsounderFiddle »

The JACT book is great. In my opinion Koine is more or less just simplified Attic, so Reading Greek will prepare you well. You'll have to learn some new vocab when you switch to the NT/LXX, but that's not too big of a problem.