Online: Extract(s) from Vitae Philosophorum by Diogenes Laertius

Latin after CDLXXVI
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: Extract(s) from Vitae Philosophorum by Diogenes Laertius

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete,

recently I stumbled upon a quote attributed to Socrates: "I love to go and see all the things I am happy without." I was somewhat surprised, because this reminded me of window shopping, not exactly a pastime I would have associated with the dude. A Textkit-member was able to point me in the right direction (thank you jeidsath!), and so I met Diogenes Laertius and his Vitae Philosophorum.

I was sufficiently interested that I thought it worthwhile to transcribe at least this small bit of Diogenes L. The result can be downloaded from the Download-section of my web-site. I'm not sure whether I will add other philosophers, but should I do so, I will inform you in this thread.

This is also the first time that I used the tool ppgen to create the final version (and Project Gutenberg's ebookmaker for the e-book versions). I have grown increasingly unhappy and unsatisfied with the way my transcriptions look, especially when viewed with e-book-readers (I am referring specifically to epub- and mobi-versions). So I looked into the matter. Ppgen is the tool used by the Distributed Proofreaders when creating their own texts (much more professional looking than my own) for Project Gutenberg. I am looking into creating better versions of the texts I already submitted, but that may take a while. I'll keep you updated.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.