Exercise 145/9. I've stared at it for hours, but...

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Exercise 145/9. I've stared at it for hours, but...

Post by wibbleypants »

"Romani ad silvam oppido proximam castra movebant".

Got me baffled - isn't castra plural? And silvam accusative?

I just can't seem to figure out the declension for this.

Oh, and sorry about the lack of macros - haven't figured it out yet.

porphyrios
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Exercise 145/9. I've stared at it for hours, but...

Post by porphyrios »

You're right that castra is plural and silvam is accusative.

The basic structure of the sentence is this: Romani castra ad silvam movebant. Determine what noun the adjective proximam agrees with, then decide what case oppido is in and why. Then add oppido proximam back into the sentence. I suspect at that point it will make sense.

wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Post by wibbleypants »

porphyrios wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:25 pm You're right that castra is plural and silvam is accusative.

The basic structure of the sentence is this: Romani castra ad silvam movebant. Determine what noun the adjective proximam agrees with, then decide what case oppido is in and why. Then add oppido proximam back into the sentence. I suspect at that point it will make sense.
Ok. So castrum plural is camp (a guess).

Oppido is dative (I think) - destination for the camp that they are moving.

Proximam singular accusative can only apply to silvam. So the neighbouring forest in accusative.

Hang on, ad takes accusative. Thinking out loud here, but proximam should refer to oppidum.

So they moved the camp to the forest next to (neighbouring) the town.

Bang! That was my head exploding.

I think I'll just move on.

Thanks.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

Paul, have a look at paragraph 143. That will explain the relationship of proximam with oppido. The subject of that particular lesson is the use of the dative with adjectives.

wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Post by wibbleypants »

Aetos wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:11 pm Paul, have a look at paragraph 143. That will explain the relationship of proximam with oppido. The subject of that particular lesson is the use of the dative with adjectives.
OK, thanks. It was the accusatives and the plural that threw me. I should know by now that ad takes acc and before jumping in, I should read the dictionary entries a bit more thoroughly. I have fallen foul of this sort of stuff before. Staring at stuff without stepping outside of the box is not much use.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

See also how the word order helps here, with oppido being bracketed by silvam and proximam. It shows, or at least it strongly suggests, that oppido has nothing to do with movebant.