Any relatively easy New Testament passages to begin with?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
H.E. Nightingale
Textkit Neophyte

Any relatively easy New Testament passages to begin with?

Post by H.E. Nightingale »

Do you have any thoughts for what I might begin with? I have an edition with the Latin on one side and the Greek on the other, so am able to look at the Latin (or English) if a little tricky. Thank you in advance. :D

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Any relatively easy New Testament passages to begin with?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Most people start with the Johannine literature, and particularly 1st John.

You might find this helpful.

https://koineworkbook.wordpress.com/201 ... -in-greek/

Anecdote: at one school where I taught students were required to have both Latin in Greek. Chrstmas season, so reading a few familar passages in those languages seemed a good fit. I had one student who had Latin one period and Greek a little later that day. When we were reading Luke 2 in Greek, I realized the student was "cheating" by looking at the Latin text we had just completed earlier...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

H.E. Nightingale
Textkit Neophyte

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:39 pm Most people start with the Johannine literature, and particularly 1st John.

Anecdote: at one school where I taught students were required to have both Latin in Greek. Chrstmas season, so reading a few familar passages in those languages seemed a good fit. I had one student who had Latin one period and Greek a little later that day. When we were reading Luke 2 in Greek, I realized the student was "cheating" by looking at the Latin text we had just completed earlier...

Thank you, Barry. I've made a start on it and have one question:

The end of John 1:1 is traditionally translated as "the Word was God" (this is very famous). Yet in the Greek, it goes θεος ην ο λογος (sorry no breathings); and the Latin Deus erat Verbum. Why is it translated this way round, rather than "God was the Word"? For stylistic reasons?

paveln
Textkit Member

Post by paveln »

H.E. Nightingale wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:49 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:39 pm Most people start with the Johannine literature, and particularly 1st John.

Thank you, Barry. I've made a start on it and have one question:

The end of John 1:1 is traditionally translated as "the Word was God" (this is very famous). Yet in the Greek, it goes θεος ην ο λογος (sorry no breathings); and the Latin Deus erat Verbum. Why is it translated this way round, rather than "God was the Word"? For stylistic reasons?
the article ο indicates a subject - λογος = the Word

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

paveln wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:57 am
That's right, but to elaborate slightly, it's common in subject/predicate nominative constructions to mark the subject with the article and the predicate to be anarthrous.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

persequor
Textkit Member

Post by persequor »

Faenum Publishing has a Greek-Latin edition of the Gospel of John with helpful vocabulary and grammar notes.

Link: http://www.faenumpublishing.com/john.html

I've made some use of the PDF edition and found it helpful.
Dewayne Dulaney
Devenius Dulenius
Carpe diem!-Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.
Blogus meus: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

S Walch
Textkit Neophyte

Post by S Walch »

H.E. Nightingale wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:49 pm Thank you, Barry. I've made a start on it and have one question:

For what it's worth, William Tyndale, the first person to translate the Greek New Testament into English (circa 1525 CE), originally translated John 1:1 as "and god was thatt worde." It was in his later revision that it became "and the worde was God."

(Above taken from The New Testament Translated by William Tyndale 1534 - A Reprint of the Edition of 1534 with the Translator's Prefaces & Notes and the variants of the edition of 1525 (Edited for the Royal Society of Literature by N. Hardy Wallis, with an Introduction by the Right Honourable Isaac Foot), Cambridge Uni. Press., 1938.)

H.E. Nightingale
Textkit Neophyte

persequor wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:43 pm Faenum Publishing has a Greek-Latin edition of the Gospel of John with helpful vocabulary and grammar notes.

Link: http://www.faenumpublishing.com/john.html

I've made some use of the PDF edition and found it helpful.
Thanks for this.
Barry Hofstetter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 pm
That's right, but to elaborate slightly, it's common in subject/predicate nominative constructions to mark the subject with the article and the predicate to be anarthrous.
I see - because θεος doesn't have an article, it is the complement?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

H.E. Nightingale wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 am
I see - because θεος doesn't have an article, it is the complement?
That's right.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I like Mark better than John because the sentences are self-explanatory rather than cryptic. You'll always know when you've understood the meaning. On the other hand, neither gave me as much practice as I would have liked in the sorts of characteristic Greek phrases that I saw in the classical channel of Greek literature. The Catholic epistles might be very slightly better for that, but I've always had trouble staying awake while reading them. (Though I've discovered in the past couple of years that they have become richer and more interesting in Greek than in translation, once I could read them easily, anyway.)
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Isaac Newton
Textkit Zealot

Post by Isaac Newton »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 pm
It's "common" to "mark" (your word) the Subject with the article only when one substantive in a S-PN construction is indefinite, because indefinite substantives do not have the article and are never the Subject in a S-PN construction to begin with. If both S and PN are definite, for instance, and only one has the article, then you cannot use the article alone as a sure guide to "mark" the articular substantive as the Subject.
Οὐαὶ οἱ λέγοντες τὸ πονηρὸν καλὸν καὶ τὸ καλὸν πονηρόν, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ σκότος φῶς καὶ τὸ φῶς σκότος, οἱ τιθέντες τὸ πικρὸν γλυκὺ καὶ τὸ γλυκὺ πικρόν

UnsounderFiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by UnsounderFiddle »

John's gospel is far and away the easiest Greek in the NT. It's definitely the place to start for beginners. Students at seminary work through John's gospel and think their Greek is getting pretty decent, then switch to any other book of the New Testament and cry.

Also, it's not biblical per se but the Greek of the Didache (early Christian writing, maybe the earliest post-NT Christian writing known) is also written in very simple Greek, and uses a lot of biblical language so it's quite easy to understand. Full text in Greek is available online here

Loulex
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Loulex »

Mark or I John and, of course, this:

https://www.amazon.com/UBS-Revised-Gree ... =ABIS_BOOK

paveln
Textkit Member

Post by paveln »

2 readings from the New Testament with words occurring more than fifty times:

Free graded reader - Listing verses of the Greek New Testament
By order of Frequently Used Words:

https://www.bhacademic.com/wp-content/u ... Reader.pdf

And book:
https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Reader ... 0801045916