How do I edit a previous post that I left?

Enter the Agora to try to communicate with others in Latin and Ancient Greek.
Plebeius
Textkit Neophyte

How do I edit a previous post that I left?

Post by Plebeius »

Perhaps some one would be kind enough to explain to me what probably is obvious to other people.

When I try to edit a post that I previously left, two copies of the post are created. After I have edited the post, and a new version now exists, I wish to delete the old version. However, while there is an X icon above the new version, which allows me to delete the new version, there is no X icon above the old version, which is the one I wish to delete. So I end up deleting the new, edited version, so that there will not be 2 copies of the post.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: How do I edit a previous post that I left?

Post by Aetos »

Hi Plebeius,
I'm no expert (I think the expert is on vacation!), but I've tried to duplicate your problem and was unsuccessful; however, I can go through the steps that I use to edit my posts and perhaps that'll help:
1. I select the post I want to edit. Of course, one can only edit a post which he has created. Posts which can be edited will have the "pencil" icon above the text box. I'm not sure about this, but I vaguely recall someone saying that after someone replies to your post you can no longer edit it.
2. A page containing my most recent version of my post opens and I make my changes.
3. Sometimes I click "preview" to see how the revised post will appear on the bulletin board. The edited text now appears above the editing box in the form in which it'll appear on the board. You can also use this function when you're composing your original post or reply.
4. When I'm happy with my changes, I click on submit. This overwrites my original text and only the new version should be present on the board. I was not able to produce two copies of the post, i.e. the original and the updated version.
5. Should I wish to delete the post, I can do so, as long as there is an "x" icon above the text. A verification box will pop up asking why I want to delete the post and I give my reason. At some point, the option to delete is no longer available and the "x" disappears. However, I believe one can request the Administrator (Joel) to delete a post for him.

I did notice that there is a "delete this post" checkbox below the text box when you're on the editing page. I tried clicking in the checkbox and got a message saying that it is "not allowed to delete posts in this forum"; however, when I returned to the bulletin board, I was able to delete my post using the "x" icon above the post.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Your post might get more attention on the Open Board. The Agora is mainly for Latin/Greek conversation.
Last edited by Aetos on Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

As Horace said, nescit vox missa reverti.

Nicely echoed by Chaucer:
But he that hath misseid, I dar wel sayn,
He may by no wey clepe his word again.
Thing that is seid, is seid, and forth it gooth,
Thogh him repente, or be him leef or looth.

Even more true in the age of the internet.

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Aetos »

mwh wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:26 pm As Horace said, nescit vox missa reverti.
Which is why I observe what Horace says just prior to this:
delere licebit quod non edideris
It may be your last chance before you click "submit"!

Plebeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Plebeius »

Gratias ago vobis qui mihi rescripistis. Quaestionem meam lingua Anglica scriptam ignosci cupio. Me non satis facultatis latine scribendi habere putabam ut latine quaererem.
Etsi poeta vocem missam recuparari posse neget, hodie fieri commune est. Toti viri clari qui contra sententias, quae correctae putantur, aliquod dicunt, postea voces suas diffidentur et alia dicunt. Et ego qui digitos ineptos habeo et etiam qui errores grammaticae facere possum, iurem eundem postulo.
Sed iam aliud consilium habeo. Mea verba alio loco scripta et bene correcta in hunc locum transferram.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Sorry not to answer earlier, but if there's a post to remove, please point me to it.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Plebeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Plebeius »

Thanks for responding, jeidsath. I was trying to correct some mistakes in a post I wrote quite awhile ago, but to which nobody had responded. So I suppose I should have been able to correct it. After I corrected it, I had 2 copies, the original, and the corrected version. I could delete the corrected version, but I couldn't delete the old version. So, in the end, I deleted the corrected version. Anyway, in the future, I think I will compose something on a word processor, and, a day, or a week later, I will go over, it and correct my errors. And then I will try to copy and paste it to this site. So I won't be trying to edit something on this site. I suppose other people experience the same thing as myself in regards to finding errors in something they wrote. Immediately after composing something, the errors are invisible. A day, or week later, they jump out from the page. If I am composing something in Latin, I don't want to include a lot of errors in it. And if I look at what I wrote a day or 2 later, I will be able to find the errors.