Number agreement

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Number agreement

Post by wibbleypants »

On chapter 7 now.

I feel a bit nervous about asking, after yesterday's stupid question.

But straight away today I get stuck here:

Secundas litteras discipulae heri videbas et de verbis tum cogitabas.
You saw (were looking at) the student's second letter yesterday and were then thinking about her words.

I cannot see how the letter can be singular. Surely 1st declension -as is accusative plural?

porphyrios
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Number agreement

Post by porphyrios »

Not a stupid question at all. You're right that litteras is plural, but it's a quirk of Latin that plural litterae usually means a "letter" (one that you send to someone, not a letter of the alphabet) or sometimes "literature."

wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Post by wibbleypants »

porphyrios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 pm Not a stupid question at all. You're right that litteras is plural, but it's a quirk of Latin that plural litterae usually means a "letter" (one that you send to someone, not a letter of the alphabet) or sometimes "literature."
Ok. And the adjective has to agree *because it does*?

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that this little quirk isn't mentioned in the book (to date).

Paul.

porphyrios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by porphyrios »

The adjective is following the normal rules for agreement with nouns: it's a plural noun, so the adjective is also plural. The fact that the plural noun happens to refer to one real-world object does not change the requirement that plural nouns take plural modifiers. It's completely normal for Latin, though it is a bit odd for English speakers trying to translate.

In my copy of Wheelock's, at least, the vocabulary entry for littera includes the following: "litterae, -ārum, f. pl., a letter (epistle); literature." But perhaps it wasn't pointed out in the chapter itself.

wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Post by wibbleypants »

porphyrios wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm In my copy of Wheelock's, at least, the vocabulary entry for littera includes the following: "litterae, -ārum, f. pl., a letter (epistle); literature." But perhaps it wasn't pointed out in the chapter itself.
Yes, I must pay more attention to the vocabulary lists. I just fell foul of "plot" also being plural.