Adjectives and lists.

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Adjectives and lists.

Post by wibbleypants »

Salvate.

I'm at chapter 6, sententiae, no. 7.

Patria Romanorum erat plena Graecorum librorum statuarumque pulchrarum.

I translated it as the adjective applying to both list items, but the key has pulchrarum only applying to the statues and not the books. I kind of felt that the -que made the pair "as one" and therefore both beautiful.

Is there a rule?

Cheers.

porphyrios
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Adjectives and lists.

Post by porphyrios »

What's the gender of librorum? And what's the gender of statuarum? Now check the gender of pulchrarum.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

It's also a fact that when an adjective modifies a series, the author will often make it agree with the nearest noun.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

porphyrios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by porphyrios »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:14 pm It's also a fact that when an adjective modifies a series, the author will often make it agree with the nearest noun.
True, but I hesitate to read this particular sentence that way given that (1) it's a textbook and (2) we have an ABBA structure (adjective-noun-noun-adjective), so not a straightforward series.

wibbleypants
Textkit Member

Post by wibbleypants »

porphyrios wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:42 pm What's the gender of librorum? And what's the gender of statuarum? Now check the gender of pulchrarum.
Oops. I should have known (el libro, la estatua).

I seem to have been Mr. Thicko.

Cheers.