Loci immutati #40

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Loci immutati #40

Post by Charlie Parker »

I am puzzled by the last sentence in this excerpt:
Si quas ad eum de dolore tam iusto litteras mittes, memento adhibere...
For awhile, I was stumped be tam iusto but I think I understand it now. It is the ablative modifying dolore, something like "If you write to him about his so justified grief…" I still do not understand the role of quas. Is it the relative pronoun or is it the indefinite pronoun quis, quid used after si? The latter interpretation does not make sense to me because I would have expected an indefinite adjective "some letter." Could someone explain to me the function of quas here? I would be most appreciative.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Loci immutati #40

Post by Shenoute »

Yes about tam iusto.

After ne, num, nisi ,and si (and others), qui(s), qua(e), quod is used instead of the indefinite adjective aliqui(s), aliqua, aliquod.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Or slightly more memorably "Ali takes a holiday". Put ne last in the list and you have a nice jingle.

:D
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you very much, both of you. I was not sure that an indefinite pronoun could also function as an adjective. I am going to have a tremendous sense of achievement when I finish Wheelock. I bought it years ago and never had time to work through. Almost there!

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Charlie Parker wrote:I am going to have a tremendous sense of achievement when I finish Wheelock.
And so you should. it is a great achievement to get through the book, especially as self study which takes a lot of determination and discipline. I hope you celebrate!
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.