JWW LXXVIII 725

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

JWW LXXVIII 725

Post by Charlie Parker »

I am having difficulty making out the first few lines of this passage. Here is my attempt: "Some of the enemy's chariots were being driven through them (through their own ranks, while others were passing driverless through the Greek ranks." Have I got that right? I haven't been able to find the reference in the Anabasis.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: JWW LXXVIII 725

Post by seneca2008 »

You have understood the Greek I think. δι᾿ αὐτῶν is through their own (ranks).

This is from Anabasis 1.8.20.-22 But I would strongly advise you to resist looking at it until you have tried to understand the whole passage and had a go at translating it for yourself. Translation is not so important but it's how we communicate to others here whether we have understood the passage.

You are now almost at the end of this book and if you are wondering what to do next and enjoy Xenophon you could start reading the Anabasis with the help of Steadman and Mather. If you don't know these books which are freely available on line I can post some links.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you kindly, Seneca. If by passage you mean the whole of White's exercise 725, I have indeed read it and I feel confident that I understand it. I would very much appreciate those links as I have not heard of those books.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Yes I meant try the whole exercise before looking at the original passage (although it's not much different). It's a pity that White doesnt provide some context to the passages for translation.

You can download a pdf of Steadman here. https://geoffreysteadman.com/xenophon-anabasis-i/

Mather is available here https://archive.org/details/xenophonsanabas00unkngoog

You can also buy hard copies from Amazon and other places.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.