What Can a Dog Called Margarita Teach us About Ancient Rome?

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

What Can a Dog Called Margarita Teach us About Ancient Rome?

Post by seneca2008 »

Here is a very short but informative and witty video about a funerary inscription for a dog. It's an intensely human story which made me feel a spark of a connection with our Roman forbears. 9 mins of fun in the tail end of an endless gloomy London lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgo4vm76kS8
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Hoppy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What Can a Dog Called Margarita Teach us About Ancient Rome?

Post by Hoppy »

Thankyou for sharing this video I absolutely loved it.

It seems strange but what has always fascinated me is thinking about the idea that the past was filled with people like us doing very normal things that we would do today. Mourning the death of a dog, as the video shows. It creates a connection to a place and time 2000 years that in many ways was radically different from the world today, and in many ways is very much similar to today. For me at least, that idea is often forgotten when looking back on history, generally.
Kind of hard to explain, but again thanks for the video link, I found it very fascinating.