Mary Renault's Historical Fiction

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Mary Renault's Historical Fiction

Post by seanjonesbw »

I keep seeing those Mary Renault Greek novels around and mentally earmarking them for a time when I can finally have a holiday outside my own house. Have you read any of the others that you'd recommend?

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Mary Renault's Historical Fiction

Post by Scribo »

Sure, could be a thread on its own I guess [and so I have split it], and my opinion is obviously idiomatic but I would say.
  • The mask of Apollo
  • The Praise Singer
  • The Last of the Wine
Are the most historically authentic for what that is worth, I like them all, though these are her least famous.

Then there is the Theseus series:
  • The King Must Die
  • The Bull from the Sea
Basically a fictionized retelling heavily influenced by the Golden Bough. Not sure how it will sit with moderns.

Her Alexander the Great series:
  • Fire from Heaven
  • The Persian Boy
  • Funeral Games
is interesting. I have noticed old people seem to like them. It is an incredibly sympathetic retelling of Alex's life, also very naïve. In my humble opinion they get progressively less readable.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Scribo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 am Her Alexander the Great series:
  • Fire from Heaven
  • The Persian Boy
  • Funeral Games
is interesting. I have noticed old people seem to like them.
And in fact, my grandmother recommended them many years ago to me.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Thanks, that's really helpful for plotting a path through them. I've had a copy of Madeline Miller's Song of Achilles sitting on my bookshelf looking unloved for a few years too, so I'll have to make a project of it. The only one of these modern reimaginings of Greek stuff I've managed to read was Valerio Manfredi's Il Mio Nome È Nessuno (i.e. οὖτις ἐμοί γ᾽ ὄνομα) - I won't be reading it again in this life (nor, deo volente, the next).

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

I rather liked the Simonides one (The Praise Singer?). Other than that I’ve only read (the first part of?) The King Must Die, with its all-blonde Greeks. I read that in my early teens I think, and had some unlearning to do. Only considerably later did I recognize it as Frazer-influenced. And I didn’t then realize she was lesbian. Is that why they’re still read perhaps? But they are well written, and well imagined—which only makes them more pernicious?

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Strait is the gate - but don't you think novels like these set a few more down the way to real Greeks than would otherwise take an interest? Or do people who would otherwise make good Greek scholars get stuck in the bog of their easy pleasures?

Mary Renault was from Essex, I believe.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

jeidsath wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:28 pm
And in fact, my grandmother recommended them many years ago to me.
Haha perfect. 8) It feels mean to point that out but I really have noticed that pattern. 9/10 someone recommending them is old.

mwh wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:16 pm I rather liked the Simonides one (The Praise Singer?). Other than that I’ve only read (the first part of?) The King Must Die, with its all-blonde Greeks. I read that in my early teens I think, and had some unlearning to do. Only considerably later did I recognize it as Frazer-influenced. And I didn’t then realize she was lesbian. Is that why they’re still read perhaps? But they are well written, and well imagined—which only makes them more pernicious?
Yes, I chose not to comment on this. It is throughout the Praise Singer too (real Greeks are blond, Simonides being dark is a minor plot point), which is risible. It is a good reminder of how shaky the command of Greek, how truly unfamiliar, that generation of classics fanciers were. I don't find them pernicious, just old. Some of hers are well written

Sean, this article is more eloquent and kinder to Miller's work than I could be: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/book ... ller.html
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

seanjonesbw
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seanjonesbw »

Scribo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:26 pm Sean, this article is more eloquent and kinder to Miller's work than I could be: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/book ... ller.html
"The result is a book that has the head of a young adult novel, the body of the “Iliad” and the hindquarters of Barbara Cartland." - Ha! Maybe it should stay on the shelf, then.

I loved that acid Renault quote in the review:
“If characters have come to life, one should know how they will make love; if not it doesn’t matter. Inch-by-inch physical descriptions are the ketchup of the literary cuisine, only required by the insipid dish or by the diner without a palate.”

Manzikert
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Manzikert »

For me The Last of the Wine is her best. Interestingly her first, too.
I also like her version of the assassination of Hipparchus in The Praise Singer.

The Alexander Trilogy is, in my opinion, rather uneven. The Persian Boy is the best of the three volumes.

The Golden Bough imagery of Bull From The Sea makes it a bit unwieldy.

But, that said, all her books are worth reading.

Ahab
Textkit Member

Post by Ahab »

Not to take anything away from Mary Renault's influence, but it was the movie Hercules with Steve Reeves that first awakened my interest in Greek mythology. As an 8 year old seeing that film, it was a mind blowing experience. For years the scene in which he wrestled with the Cretan bull replayed itself in my imagination.

Interestingly, I managed to re-watch it a couple of years ago and hardly anything on the screen matched my memory of it. The bull wrestling scene is so obviously a fake that I have wondered how it had such an impact on me.
Why, he's at worst your poet who sings how Greeks
That never were, in Troy which never was,
Did this or the other impossible great thing!
---Robert Browning

-------------------------------------------------------
Hal Friederichs