Liber Consecrationum

Latin after CDLXXVI
Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Liber Consecrationum

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

I'm working through the 'Munich Handbook of Necromancy', specifically the 'Book of Consecrations' which has two folios running side by side and a passage in one of them is absolutely doing my head in.

The one that makes sense runs:

hiis igitur diligenter prenotatis, ad nostrum propositum recurras, et videamus quando et qualiter exorcista sive operator habere debeat et quid ei sit utile ad operandum ne fallatur.

Therefore with these prewritten diligently you may have recourse to our plan/method and we may see how and in what way the exorcist or operator ought to have and what might be useful to him for the operation lest it fail.

The corresponding section in the other folio runs:

hiis igitur diligenter prenominatis prenotatis ad imum recordamus ipso situm volentes quando operari et qualiter exorcista habere debeat, et quit (d?) sit ei utile ne fallatur.

I can't make sense of this one. what does ipso go with?
And volentes? I cannot see how it functions as a plural accusative or a nominative. What does it go with?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Liber Consecrationum

Post by Shenoute »

hiis igitur diligenter prenominatis prenotatis ad imum recordamus ipso situm volentes quando operari et qualiter exorcista habere debeat, et quit (d?) sit ei utile ne fallatur.

I can't make sense of this one. what does ipso go with?
And volentes? I cannot see how it functions as a plural accusative or a nominative. What does it go with?
ipso situm looks a lot like a misreading of the word propositum.
In the same way (and based on the first extract you posted), I wonder if recordamus is not recurramus. Especially since I'm not sure recordare/recordari ad X makes sense.
I agree that a word might be missing after volentes, something like dicere.

Edit. Habere alone also looks weird to me here. Isn't there a se in the sentences?

Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Many thanks.

And actually, yes there is a SE. Lazy me for omitting it!

operari et qualiter exorcista se habere debeat

I've written this out longhand with phrases translated and little notes trying to make sense of it and even with the SE, I haven't been able to. I like the idea that the scribe was lazy much more than the idea that I am stupid.

I'm going to concentrate on the first folio from now.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

You're welcome!

The manuscript is available online in case you want to check readings: https://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~d ... 55/images/

Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Shenoute wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am You're welcome!

The manuscript is available online in case you want to check readings: https://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~d ... 55/images/
thanks for the link Shenoute.