About Vulgate Commentaries

Latin after CDLXXVI
testsuda
Textkit Neophyte

About Vulgate Commentaries

Post by testsuda »

Valete!

I am sorry for my question is a little bit more about bible study in general. I recognize that there are many bible commentaries from all kinds of sects and approach.

[1] So is there any specialized one for the Vulgate?
[2] In general, which among the exposition-bulk is seemed as authoritive or highly trustworthy?

Sincerely yours,

Khanh

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: About Vulgate Commentaries

Post by bedwere »

Glossa Ordinaria. See if it fits your needs.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Denys the Carthusian (1402-1471) wrote a complete commentary of the Bible (as well as many other works). He is not very well known today but was highly thought of for decades after his death. He purposely wrote in a simple Latin style that makes his work very approachable.
Wikipedia wrote:The great contribution of Denys the Carthusian was to synthesize all previous doctrine on the spiritual life and then to make an evaluation of the various conclusions. He wrote over 150 works, now presented as 43 volumes, which include commentaries on the entire Bible and over 900 sermons. He began by commenting the Psalms in 1434 and then went on to comment the whole of the Old and the New Testament. After seeing one of his commentaries Pope Eugene IV exclaimed: "Let Mother Church rejoice to have such a son!"
Depending on where you are in the world, you can access the massive (more than 40 volumes), late 19th c.-early 20th c., edition of his works at HathiTrust or GoogleBooks. Archive.org also has some volumes (here or there for instance). The Biblical commentaries are in volumes 1-14. Let me know if you have trouble locating the volumes you're interested in.

testsuda
Textkit Neophyte

Post by testsuda »

Thank all of you so much