Translation of Lesson LXXIV from D'Ooge's book

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation of Lesson LXXIV from D'Ooge's book

Post by Propertius »

On pg. 184-185 in the workbook and pg. 34 of the answer key.

LESSON LXXIV
434.I.1. The king asked what the ambassadors demanded and why they had come to him. 2. He also asked whether they remembered neither the recent injustices nor the doubtful friendship of the Romans. 3. Do you all see what towns the enemy besieged? 4. You all do know why the Gauls have betaken themselves under the mountain, right? 5. We heard what injuries the Germans had inflicted upon you. 6. About the third watch, the general sent men to find out what the nature of the mountain was. 7. The orator spoke on behalf of these men and he asked why the consuls wanted to send ships to a place full of the greatest danger. 8. After the ambassadors were summoned, he pointed out what he wanted to be done. 9. The messenger reported what had been said regarding the disarmament at the meeting of the Gauls. 10. I advise that you not lead foot soldiers and the cavalry across the river in future times.
II.1. Quem collem occupaverunt? Video quem collem occupaverint. 2. Quis has iniurias clientibus nostris intulit? 3. Rogaverunt quis eas iniurias clientibus eorum intulissent. 4. Quo de tertia vigilia isti? Scis quo ierim. 5. Ubi pueri domum redierunt? Rogabo ubi pueri domum redierint.

For number 3 of part II, is it eas iniurias or illas iniurias? I went with eas.

And for number 5 of the same part, I couldn't find anywhere online how to say at what time in Latin, so I just went with ubi. My first choice was in qua hora. Would that be correct too? The answer key has quota, which from what I understand is used to ask what time is it, so that doesn't seem right. Quota isn't even in the dictionary at the end of D'Ooge's book.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation of Lesson LXXIV from D'Ooge's book

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:28 am

LESSON LXXIV
434.I.1. The king asked what the ambassadors demanded and why they had come to him. 2. He also asked whether they remembered neither the recent injustices nor the doubtful friendship of the Romans. 3. Do you all see which towns the enemy besieged? 4. You all do know why the Gauls have betaken themselves under the mountain, right? 5. We heard what injuries the Germans had inflicted upon you. 6. About the third watch, the general sent men to find out what the nature of the mountain was. 7. The orator spoke on behalf of these men and he asked why the consuls wanted to send ships to a place full of the greatest danger. 8. After the ambassadors were summoned, he pointed out what he wanted to be done. 9. The messenger reported what had been said regarding the disarmament at the meeting of the Gauls. 10. I advise that you not lead foot soldiers and the cavalry across the river in future times.
II.1. Quem collem occupāvērunt? Videō quem collem occupāverint. 2. Quis hās iniūriās clientibus nostrīs intulit? 3. Rogāvērunt quis eās iniūriās clientibus eōrum intulissent. 4. Quō dē tertiā vigiliā/circā tertiam vigiliam istī? Scīs quō ierim. 5. Quandō/quotā hōrā/quā hōrā puerī domum rediērunt/revertērunt? Rogābō quandō/quotā hōrā/quā hōrā puerī domum redierint/reverterint.
I think you did fine on 3. If you wanted more emphasis, you'd use illās. Although we all like relativistic Latin :wink:, as interrogative pronoun, ubī only means where. It can mean when, but not as interrogative. The standard interrogative would be quandō. You can use also quotā (quotus, a, um) or, less precisely, quā hōrā. You may want to check where D'Ooge introduces quandō. When in doubt when translating from English to Latin, sometimes it's useful to think of a synonym (e.g., at what time = when). Of course, you can always browse Smith & Hall.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:08 pm

LESSON LXXIV
434.I.1. The king asked what the ambassadors demanded and why they had come to him. 2. He also asked whether they remembered neither the recent injustices nor the doubtful friendship of the Romans. 3. Do you all see which towns the enemy besieged? 4. You all do know why the Gauls have betaken themselves under the mountain, right? 5. We heard what injuries the Germans had inflicted upon you. 6. About the third watch, the general sent men to find out what the nature of the mountain was. 7. The orator spoke on behalf of these men and he asked why the consuls wanted to send ships to a place full of the greatest danger. 8. After the ambassadors were summoned, he pointed out what he wanted to be done. 9. The messenger reported what had been said regarding the disarmament at the meeting of the Gauls. 10. I advise that you not lead foot soldiers and the cavalry across the river in future times.
II.1. Quem collem occupāvērunt? Videō quem collem occupāverint. 2. Quis hās iniūriās clientibus nostrīs intulit? 3. Rogāvērunt quis eās iniūriās clientibus eōrum intulissent. 4. Quō dē tertiā vigiliā/circā tertiam vigiliam istī? Scīs quō ierim. 5. Quandō/quotā hōrā/quā hōrā puerī domum rediērunt/revertērunt? Rogābō quandō/quotā hōrā/quā hōrā puerī domum redierint/reverterint.
You may want to check where D'Ooge introduces quandō.
Where does he introduce quando. I can't find that part. That word isn't even in the dictionary at the end of the book.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Quandōque bonus dormītat D'Ooge.... :D

Edit.

Alas, poor quandō!

Only mention is in the Teacher's Manual.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:08 pm

LESSON LXXIV
II.1. Quem collem occupāvērunt? Videō quem collem occupāverint. 2. Quis hās iniūriās clientibus nostrīs intulit? 3. Rogāvērunt quis eās iniūriās clientibus eōrum intulissent.
I think you did fine on 3. If you wanted more emphasis, you'd use illās. Although we all like relativistic Latin :wink:, as interrogative pronoun, ubī only means where. It can mean when, but not as interrogative. The standard interrogative would be quandō. You can use also quotā (quotus, a, um) or, less precisely, quā hōrā. You may want to check where D'Ooge introduces quandō. When in doubt when translating from English to Latin, sometimes it's useful to think of a synonym (e.g., at what time = when). Of course, you can always browse Smith & Hall.
Hi,
I have a couple of questions regarding 434.II:
1. You used "occupāvērunt/occupāverint", to translate seize. Can I use instead the verb "capio"? Is there any difference in meaning between occupo and capio?
3. "Rogāvērunt quis eās iniūriās clientibus eōrum intulissent". Why is it "intulissent" in the plural and not "intulisset" in the singular, since the subject is "quis" in the singular?
Thank you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Anto wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:52 am

Hi,
I have a couple of questions regarding 434.II:
1. You used "occupāvērunt/occupāverint", to translate seize. Can I use instead the verb "capio"? Is there any difference in meaning between occupo and capio?
3. "Rogāvērunt quis eās iniūriās clientibus eōrum intulissent". Why is it "intulissent" in the plural and not "intulisset" in the singular, since the subject is "quis" in the singular?
Thank you.
Hi,

According to the dictionary, occupō is especially used for spaces, while capiō has a larger range of meaning and can be used for spaces. Basically, your pick. You are right about intulisset. I corrected the key.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

bedwere wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:18 pm
Hi,

According to the dictionary, occupō is especially used for spaces, while capiō has a larger range of meaning and can be used for spaces. Basically, your pick. You are right about intulisset. I corrected the key.
Thank you.
By the way, where can I get the new corrected key?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Anto wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:40 pm
Thank you.
By the way, where can I get the new corrected key?
The Textkit Book Collection has links to all our books, including the key.