Translation of: A DAY AT POMPEII

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation of: A DAY AT POMPEII

Post by Propertius »

On pg. 208 of D'Ooge's book.

A DAY AT POMPEII
They descended from the chariot near the forum and Lentulus said, “Here there are many kinds of shops, my Publius. Look, across the street there is a restaurant! This kind of shop sells food. Produce also stands in front of the door. I will buy my food there. “Excellent,” Publius responded. But where can we buy pastries, my father? For mother ordered us to procure these things too. I fear that that restaurant doesn’t sell pastries.” “You are correct,” Lentulus said. “But don’t you see that fountain to the right where water flows through the lion’s head? The baker’s shop is in that very place who without a doubt sells pastries.”
In a short period of time, all things were prepared, and it was now the fifth hour. Then, Lentulus and his son hurried to an inn because they were oppressed by hunger and thirst. There they sat under the shade of a tree and they ordered a boy to give them food and wine. The boy quickly obeyed this command. Then, they gladly refreshed themselves from their labor.
After their meal, they set out to look at other spectacles of the city. At that time there were many temples at Pompeii, two theaters, baths, and a large amphitheater, all things that were destroyed after a few years by the flames and fire of Vesuvius and by an earthquake. Before this disaster however, people had no fears of the mountain. In the amphitheater indeed Publius desired to delay to watch the gladiatorial shows, which had been proclaimed for that very day, and already in fact had begun. But Lentulus said, “I fear that we can’t delay, Publius. It is now the tenth hour, and the way is long. Time urges that we return home as soon as possible.” And so, he ordered the slave to join the horses, and they arrived at the villa at sunset (the setting of the sun).

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation of: A DAY AT POMPEII

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am On pg. 208 of D'Ooge's book.

A DAY AT POMPEII
They descended from the chariot near the forum and Lentulus said, “Here there are many kinds of shops, my Publius. Look, across the street there is a restaurant! This kind of shop sells food. Produce also stands in front of the door. I will buy my food there. “Excellent,” Publius responded. But where can we buy pastries, my father? For mother ordered us to procure these things too. I fear that that restaurant doesn’t sell pastries.” “You are correct,” Lentulus said. “But don’t you see that fountain to the right where water flows through the lion’s head? In that very place there is the shop of the baker, who without a doubt sells pastries.”
In a short period of time, all things were prepared, and it was now the fifth hour. Then, Lentulus and his son hurried to an inn because they were oppressed by hunger and thirst. There they sat under the shade of a tree and they ordered a boy to give them food and wine. The boy quickly obeyed this command. Then, they gladly refreshed themselves from their labor.
After their meal, they set out to look at other sights of the city. At that time there were many temples at Pompeii, two theaters, baths, and a large amphitheater, all things that were destroyed after a few years by the flames and fire of Vesuvius and by an earthquake. However, before this disaster people had no fears of the mountain. In the amphitheater indeed Publius desired to linger to watch the gladiatorial shows, which had been proclaimed for that very day, and already in fact had begun. But Lentulus said, “I fear that we can’t delay, Publius. It is now the tenth hour, and the way is long. Time urges that we return home as soon as possible.” And so, he ordered the slave to join the horses, and they arrived at the villa at sunset.