Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXIV

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXIV

Post by Propertius »

Exercises on pg. 159 of the workbook; answers on pg. 29 of answer key.

368.I.
1. He asks and urges so that he himself may speak. 2. Caesar ordered the Helvetii that they not make a march through the province. 3. Caesar did not order the Helvetii to make a march through the province. 4. He persuaded the citizens to leave from their lands. 5. Caesar will advise the chiefs to not commence battle. 6. He demanded that they not wage war with the Helvetii or with their allies. 7. I asked (from) them not to set out. 8. I could not persuade them to stay at home.

II.
1b. Quis Caesari imperavit ut iter faceret?
3. Eum petent ne supplicium sumant. (in the answer key petent is used with ab eo but I have only seen quaerere used like that; correct me if I'm wrong)
5. Iis suasit ut omnia narrarent/dicerent. (could this also be a possible way of translating that sentence)

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation and Errors in D'Ooge's Lesson LXIV

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am

368.I.
1. He asks and urges so that he himself may speak. 2. Caesar ordered the Helvetii that they not make a march through the province. 3. Caesar did not order the Helvetii to make a march through the province. 4. He persuaded the citizens to leave from their lands. 5. Caesar will advise the chiefs to not commence battle. 6. He demanded that they not wage war with the Helvetii or with their allies. 7. I asked them not to set out. 8. I could not persuade them to stay at home.

II. 1a. Quis Caesarem iter facere iussit ? 1b. Quis Caesarī imperāvit ut iter faceret? 2. Perfidī explōrātōrēs eī persuāsērunt ut prīmā lūce proficīscerētur. 3. Ab eō petent nē supplicium sūmat. 4. Postulāvit ut ad castra venīrent. 5. Eōs monuit/Iīs suāsit ut omnia nārrārent/dīcerent.
For II.1b see imperō (by the way, consulting a good dictionary like L&S is a very helpful habit you should acquire):
δ With ut, ne, or the simple subj.: ecce Apollo mihi ex oraculo imperat, Ut, etc., Plaut. Men. 5, 2, 87: his, uti conquirerent et reducerent, imperavit, Caes. B. G. 1, 28, 1: consulibus designatis imperavit senatus, ut, etc., Liv. 42, 28, 7: quibus negotium a senatu est imperatum, ut, etc., S. C. ap. Front. Aquaed. 104; Petr. 1: mihi, ne abscedam, imperat, Ter. Eun. 3, 5, 30: Caesar suis imperavit, ne, etc., Caes. B. G. 1, 46, 2; 2, 32, 2; 3, 89, 4: letoque det imperat Argum, Ov. M. 1, 670; 13, 659. —
For II.3 for petō the classical construction is ab+ablative. I have nothing against imitating Plautus, but this is a book for beginners and we should try to keep things simple and consistent:
b To beg, beseech, ask, request, desire, entreat (syn.: rogo, flagito, obsecro); constr with ab and abl. of pers. (cf. infra); ante- and postclass., with acc. of pers.: vos volo, vos peto atque obsecro, Plaut. Curc. 1, 2, 60; freq. with ut: a te etiam atque etiam peto atque contendo, ut, etc., Cic. Fam. 13, 1, 5: peto quaesoque, ut, etc., id. ib. 5, 4, 2: peto igitur a te, vel, si pateris, oro, ut, id. ib. 9, 13, 3: petere in beneficii loco et gratiae, ut, id. Verr 2, 3, 82, § 189: petere precibus per litteras ab aliquo, ut, id. Sull. 19, 55: pacem ab aliquo, Caes. B. G. 2, 13: opem ab aliquo, Cic. Tusc. 5, 2, 5: vitam nocenti, Tac. A. 2, 31: petito, ut intrare urbem liceret, Just. 43, 5, 6.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 pm

368.I.
1. He asks and urges so that he himself may speak. 2. Caesar ordered the Helvetii that they not make a march through the province. 3. Caesar did not order the Helvetii to make a march through the province. 4. He persuaded the citizens to leave from their lands. 5. Caesar will advise the chiefs to not commence battle. 6. He demanded that they not wage war with the Helvetii or with their allies. 7. I asked them not to set out. 8. I could not persuade them to stay at home.

II. 1a. Quis Caesarem iter facere iussit ? 1b. Quis Caesarī imperāvit ut iter faceret? 2. Perfidī explōrātōrēs eī persuāsērunt ut prīmā lūce proficīscerētur. 3. Ab eō petent nē supplicium sūmat. 4. Postulāvit ut ad castra venīrent. 5. Eōs monuit/Iīs suāsit ut omnia nārrārent/dīcerent.
For II.1b see imperō (by the way, consulting a good dictionary like L&S is a very helpful habit you should acquire):
δ With ut, ne, or the simple subj.: ecce Apollo mihi ex oraculo imperat, Ut, etc., Plaut. Men. 5, 2, 87: his, uti conquirerent et reducerent, imperavit, Caes. B. G. 1, 28, 1: consulibus designatis imperavit senatus, ut, etc., Liv. 42, 28, 7: quibus negotium a senatu est imperatum, ut, etc., S. C. ap. Front. Aquaed. 104; Petr. 1: mihi, ne abscedam, imperat, Ter. Eun. 3, 5, 30: Caesar suis imperavit, ne, etc., Caes. B. G. 1, 46, 2; 2, 32, 2; 3, 89, 4: letoque det imperat Argum, Ov. M. 1, 670; 13, 659. —
For II.3 for petō the classical construction is ab+ablative. I have nothing against imitating Plautus, but this is a book for beginners and we should try to keep things simple and consistent:
b To beg, beseech, ask, request, desire, entreat (syn.: rogo, flagito, obsecro); constr with ab and abl. of pers. (cf. infra); ante- and postclass., with acc. of pers.: vos volo, vos peto atque obsecro, Plaut. Curc. 1, 2, 60; freq. with ut: a te etiam atque etiam peto atque contendo, ut, etc., Cic. Fam. 13, 1, 5: peto quaesoque, ut, etc., id. ib. 5, 4, 2: peto igitur a te, vel, si pateris, oro, ut, id. ib. 9, 13, 3: petere in beneficii loco et gratiae, ut, id. Verr 2, 3, 82, § 189: petere precibus per litteras ab aliquo, ut, id. Sull. 19, 55: pacem ab aliquo, Caes. B. G. 2, 13: opem ab aliquo, Cic. Tusc. 5, 2, 5: vitam nocenti, Tac. A. 2, 31: petito, ut intrare urbem liceret, Just. 43, 5, 6.
Hey, bedwere. Just wondering: why did you bring up impero? I thought I translated it correctly? It's the answer key that had it wrong. Part a of II.1. was correct so I left it as it is.
And as for peto: I don't remember the book having used it like that, but I'll keep that in mind. Did Plautus use it the way I translated it? I.e. Eum petere?

Gratias tibi ago.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm

Hey, bedwere. Just wondering: why did you bring up impero? I thought I translated it correctly? It's the answer key that had it wrong. Part a of II.1. was correct so I left it as it is.
And as for peto: I don't remember the book having used it like that, but I'll keep that in mind. Did Plautus use it the way I translated it? I.e. Eum petere?

Gratias tibi ago.
Sorry, I got confused in merging the two versions together on who wrote what. As for the second question, I could only find the example of petō with accusative quoted above:

vos volo, vos peto atque obsecro, Plaut. Curc. 1, 2, 60

I don't know whether Plautus used also acc. + ut.

Anto
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anto »

Propertius wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm
bedwere wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 pm

368.I.

Gratias tibi ago.
You are right. This is the first time used like this in the book.
By the way in the same page 159, quaero is used also with ab + ablative (I.7: ab iis quaesivi).